IDI diesel with swirl chambers

• Thread starter NintendoKD
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diesel
In summary, Kevin is researching ways to increase the efficiency of a 1.6l turbo diesel engine by making a new head made from a different material, as well as increasing the efficiency of the swirl chambers in the head, and combustion in general. He plans to use a head from a German AAZ cyl head "not available in the U.S." on the 1.6l block which will lower static compression, allowing for more boost than is available normally. He is in a hurry, and is looking for assistance in making the head.
NintendoKD
I am VERY interested in IDI diesel engines and the upper limits of their efficiency range. I used to post on vwdiesel.net but the site is down now. I was looking into increasing the efficiency of the 1.6l turbo diesel engine by making a new"er" head made from a preexisting aluminum one out of a different material, as well as increasing the efficiency of the swirl chambers in the head, and combustion in gereral. I have run out of resources, and am looking into metalurgy and mechanical engineering in the design area for ways to produce a head from a currently existing design, perhaps even increasing efficiency over stock. The idea is to use a head from a German AAZ cyl head "not available in the U.S." on the 1.6l block which will lower static compression, allowing for more boost than is available normally. I have a ballpark figure of how much power I wish to produce is 350Horsepower and around 450 ftlbs of torque. The IDI was abandoned due to efficiency and ease of production of DI parts and power and that design hit technological limitations of the time. That wat more than 30 years ago, I would like to pursue this as a mechanical design is preferrable because no electronics are necessary. I will be a special turbo that is a hybrid of two VNT's or Variabl nozzle turbines producing at maximum a total of 35-45 psi boost. The injection pump will be one that is modified to produce more fuel than I will be able to ever use, and targert rpms are 7500+ "yes this is possible" I am kind of in a hurry, I will be in afghanistan in nov. timefram and woud like to get the ball rolling with a machinig facility or otherwise to have this completed upon my return "if any" I will be putting this powerplant into a toyota MR2 Spyder. I realize that all of this may sound a bit absurd but trust me when I say that there is a lot of hard work and research behind most of this there are just some loose ends I would like help tying up.

Thank You,

Kevin

Engineering news on Phys.org
So what are the loose ends? I'm about half way through developing a medium DI engine at the moment...

the loose ends are trying to find someone with the means and the gumption to assist me in making a head from a material other than aluminum. And if there is a more efficient design then new swirl chambers would certainly in order. I was thinking of using ceramic for the swirl cahmbers and pistons, toyota used it and increased effficiency and lowered emissions however the amount of NOX increased slightly. I would love to have my own forge, but I live on base and I'm sure the General might have a problem with a backyard scientist building his own forge in a government house, not that it is against the rules, just frowned upon. "especially after the LARGE Tesla coil fiasco":uhh:

1. What is an IDI diesel engine with swirl chambers?

An IDI (indirect injection) diesel engine with swirl chambers is a type of diesel engine that uses a pre-combustion chamber to mix air and fuel before it enters the main combustion chamber. The swirl chamber is designed to create a swirling motion in the air-fuel mixture, which helps to improve combustion and increase fuel efficiency.

2. How does an IDI diesel engine with swirl chambers work?

The IDI diesel engine with swirl chambers works by injecting a small amount of fuel into the pre-combustion chamber, which then mixes with the air and creates a swirling motion. This mixture is then injected into the main combustion chamber, where it is compressed and ignited by the heat of the compressed air. The resulting explosion pushes the piston down, which powers the engine.

3. What are the advantages of using an IDI diesel engine with swirl chambers?

There are several advantages to using an IDI diesel engine with swirl chambers. Firstly, the pre-combustion chamber allows for better mixing of air and fuel, which leads to more efficient combustion and better fuel economy. Additionally, the swirl chamber design helps to reduce emissions and improve overall engine performance.

4. Are there any disadvantages to using an IDI diesel engine with swirl chambers?

One potential disadvantage of using an IDI diesel engine with swirl chambers is that it may be more complex and expensive to manufacture compared to other types of diesel engines. Additionally, the swirl chamber design can be more susceptible to carbon buildup, which may require more frequent maintenance.

5. Is an IDI diesel engine with swirl chambers still used in modern vehicles?

While the use of IDI diesel engines with swirl chambers has decreased in recent years, they are still used in some modern vehicles, particularly in commercial and heavy-duty applications. However, many manufacturers have shifted to using direct injection diesel engines, which offer better fuel efficiency and emissions control.