If acceleration is stated is terms of velocity....

In summary, the conversation discusses converting acceleration values stated in terms of velocity or position into time. It mentions various equations and methods, such as using the integral-differential relationship between the quantities and solving for a differential equation. The conversation also talks about reconciling different approaches and finding the appropriate values for constants of integration.
k_squared

Homework Statement

This is not a particular problem but a generic one. If one has acceleration stated in terms of velocity (or position) such as a=v, how do we convert these values into time?

Homework Equations

ads=vdv
ad(theta)=wdw

And of course, the usual time-based derivative relations for acceleration, velocity and positions.

The Attempt at a Solution

Sorry, guys, this one is killing me right now.

Physics news on Phys.org
k_squared said:
such as a=v
First of all, this cannot be the relationship as it is dimensionally inconsistent.

Second, what you have is just a differential equation that you need to solve.

k_squared said:
such as a=v
You can use the integral-differential relationship between the two quantities. Also, a=v is dimensionally incorrect. The equation could be a=kv, where k has the unit of time-1.

Allright, clarified question... let's saw we have $$\alpha=50\sqrt{\omega}$$. This is, I believe, equivalent to the diffyQ $$y''=50\sqrt{y'}$$. The book solves the equation by taking from $$dw/dt=a $$ $$ dt=dw/a$$, and integrating with bounds that are suggested by the problem. Wolframalpha solves the problem by giving $$y=\frac{625t^3}{3}+c_1^2+25c_1t^2+c_2$$

So my real question is.. how do I reconcile these two, or am I wrong about something? (I can't find appropriate values of the constants of integration in the case of the last equation!)

In that case, ##y## is ##\theta## and the rest is the same, although I think Wolfram Alpha must have had a factor of ##t## on the ##c_1^2##, did it not?

Since ##\alpha = d\omega / dt##, you can rewrite the first equation as:

$$\frac{d\omega}{ dt} = 50\sqrt{\omega}$$

And then through separation of variables:

$$\frac{d\omega}{50\sqrt{\omega}} = dt$$

Then integrate both sides:

$$\frac{1}{50}\int\frac{d\omega}{\sqrt{\omega}} = \int dt$$

$$\frac{1}{25}\sqrt{\omega} = t + c_1$$

$$\omega= 625t^2 + 1250c_1t + 625c_1^2$$

Note that if we roll a factor of 25 into ##c_1##, this becomes:

$$\omega= 625t^2 + 50c_1t + c_1^2$$

This is ok to do because the constants are arbitrary. And since ##\omega = d\theta / dt##, you can repeat the process:

$$\frac{d\theta}{dt} = 625t^2 + 50c_1t + c_1^2$$

$$d\theta = (625t^2 + 50c_1t + c_1^2) dt$$

$$\int d\theta = \int (625t^2 + 50c_1t + c_1^2) dt$$

$$\theta = \frac{625}{3}t^3 + 25c_1t^2 + c_1^2 t + c_2$$

As for the boundary conditions, you can redo the above using the boundary conditions as the limits of integration. Or, you can use the above equation to plug the values for ##y## and ##t## that you are given, and solve for the arbitrary constants. You'll need two conditions to solve for both constants.

Likes PeroK

Related to If acceleration is stated is terms of velocity....

1. What is the relationship between acceleration and velocity?

Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity over time. In other words, it is the measure of how quickly an object's velocity is changing.

2. How is acceleration stated in terms of velocity?

Acceleration is commonly stated in terms of velocity as meters per second squared (m/s²) or kilometers per hour per second (km/h/s).

3. Can acceleration and velocity have the same value?

Yes, it is possible for acceleration and velocity to have the same value. This occurs when an object is moving at a constant velocity, meaning its speed and direction are not changing.

4. Does negative acceleration always mean the object is slowing down?

No, negative acceleration does not always mean the object is slowing down. It simply means that the object's velocity is decreasing, which could be due to slowing down or changing direction.

5. How does acceleration affect an object's motion?

Acceleration plays a crucial role in an object's motion. It determines the object's speed and direction, and can cause changes in its velocity. Without acceleration, objects would continue to move at a constant speed in a straight line.