If Derivative is Not Zero Anywhere Then Function is Injective.

In summary, according to the paper an exam question is asking, if a function is differentiable and has a discontinuous derivative, then it is not necessarily injective. However, if a function is differentiable and has a continuous derivative, then it is injective.
caffeinemachine
Gold Member
MHB
Hello MHB.

I am sorry that I haven't been able to take part in discussions lately because I have been really busy.

I am having trouble with a question.

In a past year paper of an exam I am preparing for it read:

Let $f: (a,b)\to \mathbb R$ be a differentiable function with $f'(x)\neq 0$ for all $x\in(a,b)$. Then is $f$ necessarily injective?

I know that a function can be differentiable at all points and have a discontinuous derivative.
This makes me think that $f$ is not necessarily injective. But I am not able to construct a counterexample.

Can anybody help?

Physics news on Phys.org
caffeinemachine said:
I know that a function can be differentiable at all points and have a discontinuous derivative.

It can? Can you come up with an example of a function that does this? For me, I think of $f(x)=|x|$. It is not differentiable at $0$; its derivative is discontinuous at the origin.

caffeinemachine said:
Hello MHB.

I am sorry that I haven't been able to take part in discussions lately because I have been really busy.

I am having trouble with a question.

In a past year paper of an exam I am preparing for it read:

Let $f: (a,b)\to \mathbb R$ be a differentiable function with $f'(x)\neq 0$ for all $x\in(a,b)$. Then is $f$ necessarily injective?

This makes me think that $f$ is not necessarily injective. But I am not able to construct a counterexample.

Can anybody help?
Rolle's theorem.

Ackbach said:
It can? Can you come up with an example of a function that does this? For me, I think of $f(x)=|x|$. It is not differentiable at $0$; its derivative is discontinuous at the origin.
calculus - Discontinuous derivative. - Mathematics Stack Exchange
See Mark McClure's answer. He provides such an example.
Also see Haskell Curry's answer. He doesn't provide an example but his post is useful.

Another result of interest, which I found here: the Darboux theorem. If a function is differentiable, then its derivative must satisfy the Intermediate Value property.

Let us suppose by way of contradiction a counter-example exists.

Thus we have two points $c < d \in (a,b)$ such that:

$f(c) = f(d)$, but $c \neq d$.

By supposition, $c$ and $d$ are, of course, interior points of $(a,b)$, and thus since $f$ is differentiable on $(a,b)$, $f$ is continuous on $[c,d]$ and differentiable on $(c,d)$.

Hence we may apply the mean value theorem to deduce there exists a point $x_1 \in (c,d)$ such that:

$f'(x_1) = \dfrac{f(d) - f(c)}{d - c} = 0$

violating the condition $f'(x) \neq 0$ for all $x \in (a,b)$.

Thus no such pair exists, which thus means if for $c,d \in (a,b), f(c) = f(d)$, we must have $c = d$, that is, $f$ is injective.

(Note this proof takes advantage of the trichotomy rule, a consequence of the order properties of $\Bbb R$).

Related to If Derivative is Not Zero Anywhere Then Function is Injective.

1. What is a derivative?

A derivative is the rate of change of a function at a specific point. It tells us how much a function is changing at that point, and in what direction.

2. What does it mean for a derivative to be zero?

If a derivative is zero at a specific point, it means that the function is not changing at that point. In other words, the function has a flat or constant slope at that point.

3. Can a function be injective if its derivative is not zero anywhere?

No, if a function's derivative is not zero anywhere, it means that the function is constantly changing. This makes it impossible for the function to be one-to-one, or injective, as it would have at least two points with the same value.

4. What is an injective function?

An injective function is a function where each input has a unique output. In other words, no two different inputs can give the same output.

5. How can we prove that a function is injective if its derivative is not zero anywhere?

We can prove this by using the contrapositive method, which states that if the function is not injective, then its derivative must be zero at some point. This means that if we can show that the derivative is not zero anywhere, then the function must be injective.