If I throw an iron ball at a magnet, the ball will bounce of

In summary, the question is about the fate of the original kinetic energy when an iron ball is thrown at a magnet and is slowed down by its attraction. The conversation discusses the idea that heat may seem like the easy answer, but interparticle collisions should decrease as the ball slows. It also brings up the importance of considering the attraction between the ball and magnet not just as they are separating, but also as they are approaching.
Evis
Heat seems like the easy answer, but interparticle collisions should decrease as the ball slows.

Physics news on Phys.org
And what is the question?

Oh dear! I copy pasted the question. The question is this:

If I throw an iron ball at a magnet, the ball will bounce off of the magnet, but be slowed by its attraction to the magnet. Since energy cannot be created or destroyed, where does the original kinetic energy go?

Last edited by a moderator:
Evis said:
If I throw an iron ball at a magnet, the ball will bounce off of the magnet, but be slowed by its attraction to the magnet. Since energy cannot be created or destroyed, where does the original kinetic energy go?
What about the attraction as the ball approaches the magnet? If you are going to account for the attraction as the two are separating, you need to account for it as the two are approaching as well.

Related to If I throw an iron ball at a magnet, the ball will bounce of

1. Will any iron ball bounce off a magnet?

Yes, any iron ball will bounce off a magnet because iron is a ferromagnetic material, meaning it is attracted to magnets and can be magnetized.

2. How does the magnet make the iron ball bounce off?

The magnet creates a magnetic field that exerts a force on the iron ball, causing it to be attracted to the magnet. When the ball reaches the magnet, the force of attraction is stronger on one side of the ball than the other, causing it to bounce off in the opposite direction.

3. Will the size or strength of the magnet affect the ball's bounce?

Yes, the size and strength of the magnet will affect the ball's bounce. A larger or stronger magnet will have a stronger magnetic field, resulting in a stronger force of attraction on the iron ball and potentially causing it to bounce higher or farther.

4. Can other types of metal bounce off a magnet?

Yes, other types of metal can also bounce off a magnet if they have magnetic properties. However, different types of metal may have different magnetic properties and may not bounce off a magnet in the same way as iron.

5. Is it possible for the iron ball to not bounce off the magnet?

Yes, it is possible for the iron ball to not bounce off the magnet if the force of attraction between the magnet and the ball is not strong enough. This can happen if the magnet is not strong enough or if the iron ball is not close enough to the magnet when thrown.