The Mystery of Magnet Rotations: An Unanswered Question

In summary, the magnet never spins after demagnetization, and neither does the same shape iron, so if you can, experiment yourself.
Hir
This happened a long time ago, and I haven't found the answer. I posted a post on the Internet, and no one gave an explanation, so I really hope to find the answer.
A magnet, no matter which pole is facing up, will rotate counterclockwise, as shown in the figure below.
Screenshot_20230417-232157.png

The magnet will not spin after it is demagnetized.
With iron of any shape it will not spin.
(link broken)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hir said:
I posted a post on the Internet
Too much detail xD

You have to give more details so that anybody who read this can reproduce it.

Likes Vanadium 50 and berkeman
By your description, you have proven that magnetism has nothing to do with the rotation. So we're left with "sometimes it rotates and sometimes it doesn't."

berkeman said:
All I see is a black screen and I hear birds chirping...
The link has been updated, and those who need it can download and save it.

Video (valid for 1 month):

Vanadium 50 said:
By your description, you have proven that magnetism has nothing to do with the rotation. So we're left with "sometimes it rotates and sometimes it doesn't."
The magnet never rotates after demagnetization, and neither does the same shape iron, so if you can, experiment yourself.

Hir said:
so if you can, experiment yourself.
What is the point of all your threads on magnetism lately?
This "experiment" is not very well explained. After all, you could have had the string twined from the start and get the same effect.

malawi_glenn said:
What is the point of all your threads on magnetism lately?
This "experiment" is not very well explained. After all, you could have had the string twined from the start and get the same effect.
I am very angry.

Here there are only experimental results, no videos of fooling people. If you don't believe it, you can do your own experiments, and the cost is extremely low.

• Haha
Likes malawi_glenn
Hir said:
demagnetization
You keep using that word. I don't think it means what you think it means.

If it spins clockwise north end up and clockwise south end up, what will happen if I have two magnets magnetized in opposite directions? Clockwise, right? Ten magnets? A thousand? A million?

"Unmagnetized" iron has many tiny domains, some with north in one direction and some with north in the opposite direction. So it should also spin clockwise. But you say it doesn't. By your own words, you have proven magnetism has nothing to do with what you claim to see.

You can be angry all you want. But not at us - your own observation contradicts your explanation. That's science.

Likes vanhees71
Vanadium 50 said:
You keep using that word. I don't think it means what you think it means.

If it spins clockwise north end up and clockwise south end up, what will happen if I have two magnets magnetized in opposite directions? Clockwise, right? Ten magnets? A thousand? A million?

"Unmagnetized" iron has many tint domains, some with north in one direction and some with north in the opposite direction. So it should also spin clockwise. But you say it doesn't. By your own words, you have proven magnetism has nothing to do with what you claim to see.

You can be angry all you want. But not at us - your own observation contradicts your explanation. That's science.
Why metals without magnetism never rotate, it doesn't matter if you think this phenomenon is not worth discussing.

Hir said:
no videos of fooling people.
Then at the very least make videos with a much wider field of view, ideally with multiple cameras.

Hir said:
If you don't believe it, you can do your own experiments, and the cost is extremely low.
You think we have never played with magnets? You seem to be the only one observing this phenomenon. It is up to you to prove that there is no trickery involved.

Likes Vanadium 50, vanhees71 and malawi_glenn
Hir said:
I am very angry.
I do not care about your feelings.
Hir said:
you can do your own experiments
You have not provided enough information for anybody to reproduce your findings. I do not even know how to place my magnet, I do not even know if you have a magnet, I do not even know what string you use, and so on. This is a science forum, you need communicate scientifically i.e. using the scientific method.

This thread explains it all I think https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/an-oriental-with-low-education-background.1051208/

Likes davenn, vanhees71 and DrClaude
Try using a non-twisted string. Dental floss would work well. If your magnet still spins let us know at this forum. Don't be angry.

Likes vanhees71
DrClaude said:
Then at the very least make videos with a much wider field of view, ideally with multiple cameras.
I don't think the world should be like this. I have clearly informed the result, but no one believes it. Therefore, no matter how good the video is, it is futile, because most people only believe in authority.

• Haha
  • Skeptical
Likes davenn, malawi_glenn and berkeman
hutchphd said:
Try using a non-twisted string. Dental floss would work well. If your magnet still spins let us know at this forum. Don't be angry.
I have noticed this phenomenon for at least ten years. If you think it is a problem with the rope, you should use it to hang other things, and I have tried it.

My magnets do not spin.

Likes Vanadium 50
hutchphd said:
My magnets do not spin.
The torque is very small, and the center of gravity must be found. The thread used in the video is used to make clothes. If you have any questions, please take a picture or video.

Hir said:
The thread used in the video is used to make clothes.
Those threads are twinned. Try a thin copper thread like 0,1 mm

raf,750x1000,075,t,101010:01c5ca27c6.u1.jpg

Hir said:
Therefore, no matter how good the video is, it is futile, because most people only believe in authority.
We in here believe in the scientific method.

Likes davenn, Vanadium 50, berkeman and 1 other person
Thread closed temporarily for Moderation...

Likes malawi_glenn
malawi_glenn said:
Yes, it does explain a lot about the OP's motivations:
Hir said:
In the future, I plan to discuss "perpetual motion machines" in the forum. My goal is to change the world and I strive for truth; please don't stop me before there is no evidence that there is a problem with my design!

Since the video is clearly a fake, this thread will remain closed.

Likes davenn, Vanadium 50 and malawi_glenn

1. What is the mystery of magnet rotations?

The mystery of magnet rotations refers to the phenomenon of magnets rotating or moving without any apparent external force or energy source. This has puzzled scientists for centuries and remains an unanswered question in the field of physics.

2. How do magnets rotate?

The exact mechanism of magnet rotations is still unknown. However, it is believed to be related to the alignment of magnetic domains within the magnet, which can be influenced by external magnetic fields or temperature changes.

3. Can magnet rotations be explained by the laws of physics?

Currently, there is no scientific explanation for magnet rotations that fully aligns with the laws of physics. Some theories propose that it may be related to quantum mechanics or the effects of gravity, but more research is needed to confirm these hypotheses.

4. What are the potential applications of understanding magnet rotations?

If we can unravel the mystery of magnet rotations, it could have significant implications for technology and engineering. It could lead to the development of more efficient motors, generators, and other devices that utilize magnetic fields.

5. How close are we to solving the mystery of magnet rotations?

While there have been numerous theories and experiments attempting to explain magnet rotations, there is still no definitive answer. However, with advancements in technology and continued research, we may one day unravel this mystery and gain a better understanding of the fundamental laws of physics.