If my pet hamster buys foreign currency with U.S. currency,

• Thread starter Jamin2112
  • Start date
  • Tags
    pet
In summary, the defendant pleads not guilty, claiming that their hamster is responsible for the financial transactions. However, it is yet to be determined whether these transactions can be classified as hedging or a capital gain for tax purposes. Additionally, the involvement of a hamster in financial transactions raises questions for both tax inspectors and biologists.
Jamin2112
then buys back the U.S. currency when it has depreciated against the currency he bought, and conducts all these transactions with paper currency, has he safely avoided having to report this gain as income?

Physics news on Phys.org
"How does the defendant plead?"
"Not guilty, your honor. My hamster did it."
g-force.jpg

OTOH:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foreign_exchange_market#Hedge_funds_as_speculators

Likes collinsmark and DennisN
DennisN said:
Maybe it's just me, but for this purpose I would rather use a hedgehog instead of a hamster.

Wouldn't that be classified as hedging? Except that it doesn't have a future.

Likes DennisN and phinds
Jamin2112 said:
then buys back the U.S. currency when it has depreciated against the currency he bought, and conducts all these transactions with paper currency, has he safely avoided having to report this gain as income?

It will depend on the laws where you and your hamster live. Under American law, taxes are due on any income that results from the activity of your hamster.

Likes Evo and collinsmark
In some countries a one off transaction like that would be treated as a capital gain rather than income.

Your hamster's financial transactions may well be of interest to tax inspectors,
but they would certainly be a lot more interesting to biologists.

Last edited:
Likes Enigman

1. How can my pet hamster buy foreign currency with U.S. currency?

It is not physically possible for a pet hamster to buy foreign currency with U.S. currency. This would require the hamster to have access to a foreign exchange market and the ability to understand and make transactions, which is not possible for a small animal.

2. Can my pet hamster exchange U.S. currency for foreign currency?

No, a pet hamster does not have the physical capabilities or understanding to exchange currencies. This task requires human intervention and cannot be done by a pet hamster.

3. Is it legal for my pet hamster to buy foreign currency with U.S. currency?

No, it is not legal for a pet hamster to engage in financial transactions. In addition, it is not legal for anyone other than a licensed exchange dealer or bank to buy or sell foreign currency.

4. What is the purpose of a pet hamster buying foreign currency with U.S. currency?

There is no logical purpose for a pet hamster to buy foreign currency with U.S. currency. This action would not benefit the hamster in any way as they do not have the ability to use or understand currency.

5. Can my pet hamster use foreign currency to buy items?

No, a pet hamster cannot use foreign currency to buy items. In order to make a purchase, the hamster would need to understand and use the currency, which is not possible. Additionally, most stores only accept local currency for purchases.