If p is prime, then its square root is irrational

In summary, the student is trying to prove that the square root of prime numbers is irrational. They are using a proof by contradiction, but are not sure if it is a good way to go about it. They have also heard that the rational root theorem may be helpful in this regard.
kaos

Homework Statement

Im trying to prove that if p is prime, then its square root is irrational.

The Attempt at a Solution

Is a proof by contradiction a good way to do this?

All i can think of is suppose p is prime and √p is a/b,

p= (a^2)/ (b^2)
Is there any property i can exploit to go on or is should i attempt other methods of proof
(contrapositive, direct, induction?)

Physics news on Phys.org
kaos said:

Homework Statement

Im trying to prove that if p is prime, then its square root is irrational.

The Attempt at a Solution

Is a proof by contradiction a good way to do this?

All i can think of is suppose p is prime and √p is a/b,

p= (a^2)/ (b^2)
Is there any property i can exploit to go on or is should i attempt other methods of proof
(contrapositive, direct, induction?)

You can assume a and b have no common factors, right? Go for a contradiction. a must be divisible by p. Can you show that?

attempt

I think we need to prove that no prime is square.

This makes sense in my head, but I can't seem to figure it out!

By the way, is there a theorem that says that square roots of non square numbers are irrational?

Yes, "no prime is a square" is exactly what "if p is a prime then it is not a square" says. If you "can't seem to figure it out", then look at the specifice words of the definitions of "prime" and "square".

Then do an indirect proof as Dick suggested. Suppose there exist a prime, p, that is a "square". Then [tex]p= n^2[/tex] for some integer n.

Likes 1 person
I think its obvious that a prime number can't be a square of an integer (trivial by definition), but that does not imply it cannot be a square of a rational. The thing I am trying to prove is that the square root of primes ,is not rational. Am i misunderstanding the logic ,overlooking or ignorant of something that i can use to advance in the proving?

What does the rational root theorem have to say about x2-p=0, where p is a prime number?

kaos said:
I think its obvious that a prime number can't be a square of an integer (trivial by definition), but that does not imply it cannot be a square of a rational. The thing I am trying to prove is that the square root of primes ,is not rational. Am i misunderstanding the logic ,overlooking or ignorant of something that i can use to advance in the proving?

You didn't pay much attention to the hint I gave in post 2. So I won't repeat it.

Likes 1 person
Dick said:
You didn't pay much attention to the hint I gave in post 2. So I won't repeat it.

Well i don't really know how to use the hint. But anyway its been explained in my online course how to prove it using the fact that sqrt of 2 and 3 are irrational, and using it to generalise it to primes( we did the proofs for sqrt of 2 and 3 earlier in the course). Thanks for the help guys ,its very much appreciated.

1. What does it mean for a number to be "irrational"?

An irrational number is a number that cannot be written as a ratio of two integers. In simpler terms, it is a number that cannot be expressed as a simple fraction. Examples of irrational numbers include √2, √3, and π.

2. How do you know if a number's square root is irrational?

If a number is prime, it means that it has no factors other than 1 and itself. Since its square root is the number multiplied by itself, the only way for it to be rational is if it can be written as a product of two integers, which is not possible for a prime number. Therefore, if p is prime, then its square root must be irrational.

3. Can you provide an example of a prime number with an irrational square root?

Yes, an example is the prime number 11. Its square root is approximately 3.31662479036, which is an irrational number.

4. How does this concept relate to the Pythagorean theorem?

The Pythagorean theorem states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. If we have a right triangle with side lengths of 1 and √2, the hypotenuse would have a length of √3, which is an irrational number. This shows that the square root of 2, and by extension, all irrational numbers, play a role in the Pythagorean theorem.

5. Are there any exceptions to this rule?

Yes, there are a few exceptions. One example is the number 4, which is not a prime number, but its square root is still irrational (2). Additionally, if p is a perfect square, meaning its square root is a whole number, then its square root is not irrational. For example, the number 9 is a perfect square and its square root is 3, which is a rational number.