Prove that ## \sqrt{p} ## is irrational for any prime ## p ##?

In summary, this conversation is discussing whether or not the square root of an irrational number is irrational. The author provides a proof that the square root of an irreducible integer is irrational, which is sufficient to show that the square root of an irrational number is irrational.
Math100
Homework Statement
Establish the following facts:
a) ## \sqrt{p} ## is irrational for any prime ## p ##.
Relevant Equations
None.
Proof:

Suppose for the sake of contradiction that ## \sqrt{p} ## is not irrational for any prime ## p ##,
that is, ## \sqrt{p} ## is rational.
Then we have ## \sqrt{p}=\frac{a}{b} ## for some ## a,b\in\mathbb{Z} ## such that
## gcd(a, b)=1 ## where ## b\neq 0 ##.
Thus ## p=\frac{a^2}{b^2} ##,
which implies ## pb^2=a^2 ##.
Note that ## p\mid a^2 ##.
This means ## p\mid a ##, because ## p ## is a prime number.
Now we have ## a=pm ## for some ## m\in\mathbb{Z} ##.
Thus ## a=pm ##
## a^2=(pm)^2 ##
## pb^2=p^2 m^2 ##,
or ## b^2=pm^2 ##.
Note that ## p\mid b^2 ##.
This means ## p\mid b ##, because ## p ## is a prime number.
Since ## p\mid a\land p\mid b ##,
it follows that ## gcd(a, b)\neq 1 ##.
This is a contradiction because the integers ## a ## and ## b ## are relatively prime
with no common factors except ## 1 ##.
Therefore, ## \sqrt{p} ## is irrational for any prime ## p ##.

Physics news on Phys.org
Math100 said:
Suppose for the sake of contradiction that ## \sqrt{p} ## is not irrational for any prime ## p ##,
If the initial statement is "##\sqrt{p}## is irrational for every prime ##p##", then your supposition is not to the contrary. You are saying "suppose ##\sqrt{p}## is rational for every prime ##p##".

What follows seems fine to me

Edit: Thought about it some more. I think, you mean to express the correct thing. Your sentence is to be read as "suppose ##\sqrt{p}## is ##\neg##(irrational for every ##p##)". To reduce ambiguity, you could express the same thought by negating the initial statement: suppose there exists a prime ##p## such that ##\sqrt{p}## is rational.
Alternatively, in the language of symbols, the initial statement is
[tex]
\forall p\in\mathbb P,\quad \sqrt{p} \in \mathbb R\setminus \mathbb Q.
[/tex]
Hence its negation is
[tex]
\exists p\in\mathbb P,\quad \sqrt{p} \in\mathbb Q.
[/tex]

Last edited:
Likes Math100 and PeroK
nuuskur said:
If the initial statement is "##\sqrt{p}## is irrational for every prime ##p##", then your supposition is not to the contrary. You are saying "suppose ##\sqrt{p}## is rational for every prime ##p##".

What follows seems fine to me

Edit: Thought about it some more. I think, you mean to express the correct thing. Your sentence is to be read as "suppose ##\sqrt{p}## is ##\neg##(irrational for every ##p##)". To reduce ambiguity, you could express the same thought by negating the initial statement: suppose there exists a prime ##p## such that ##\sqrt{p}## is rational.
Alternatively, in the language of symbols, the initial statement is
[tex]
\forall p\in\mathbb P,\quad \sqrt{p} \in \mathbb R\setminus \mathbb Q.
[/tex]
Hence its negation is
[tex]
\exists p\in\mathbb P,\quad \sqrt{p} \in\mathbb Q.
[/tex]
Besides "Suppose there exists a prime ## p ## such that ## \sqrt{p} ## is rational", do I also need to include the "Suppose for the sake of contradiction" to this first sentence or no?

Math100 said:
Besides "Suppose there exists a prime ## p ## such that ## \sqrt{p} ## is rational", do I also need to include the "Suppose for the sake of contradiction" to this first sentence or no?
No. If your supposition reaches a contradiction, then the supposition is false. That is, no such prime p exists for which its square root is rational.

Likes nuuskur and Math100
do I also need to include the "Suppose for the sake of contradiction" to this first sentence or no?
It is not a necessity. We say things like "suppose for a contradiction that so and so.." to indicate the proof is a non-constructive one. With that said, if you are able to provide a direct proof to a statement, then that is preferable.

For beginners, I strongly recommend writing these things, however. It helps in the readability department. While I may not be a beginner, anymore, I am still clearly indicating in my proofs what sort of technique I use.

Likes Math100
I think this is a very nice proof. One thing about it surprizes me however, namely that you use the technically correct mathematical definition of "prime". Namely that p is prime iff whenever p divides a product, then it divides one of the factors. In elementary mathematics, one often encounters the use of the word "prime", to mean rather "irreducible", namely an integer of absolute value greater than one, that is not a product of two other integers also of absolute value greater than one. So it is of interest to be able to prove here also that "irreducible" implies "prime". Otherwise you have a problem proving the existence of prime integers. I.e. it is obvious that 3 say, is irreducible, but not so obvious that 3 is prime in the strict mathematical sense. So I am asking if you can also prove that the square root of an irreducible integer is irrational. With what you have done, it would suffice to prove that irreducible implies prime. But perhaps you have already seen that in your course. The key is usually to use (and prove) the result that the largest (positive) integer dividing two others, equals the smallest (positive) integer that can be expressed as a linear combination of the two.

1. What does it mean for a number to be irrational?

A number is considered irrational if it cannot be expressed as a ratio of two integers. This means that it cannot be written as a fraction in simplest form.

2. How do you prove that a number is irrational?

There are several methods to prove that a number is irrational. One way is to assume that the number is rational and then use logical reasoning and mathematical operations to arrive at a contradiction. Another method is to use the definition of irrationality, which states that an irrational number cannot be expressed as a ratio of two integers.

3. Why is it important to prove that the square root of a prime number is irrational?

This proof is important because it helps us understand the properties of prime numbers and their relationship to other types of numbers. It also has applications in various fields of mathematics, such as number theory and algebra.

4. Can you give an example of a prime number and its square root being irrational?

Yes, an example would be the prime number 17. The square root of 17 is approximately 4.123105625617661, which is an irrational number.

5. Is there a general method for proving that the square root of a prime number is irrational?

Yes, there is a general method for proving that the square root of a prime number is irrational. This method involves using the fundamental theorem of arithmetic, which states that every positive integer can be expressed as a unique product of prime numbers. By assuming that the square root of a prime number is rational and using this theorem, we can arrive at a contradiction and prove that it is actually irrational.