If we have a non combustible power source

In summary: Most excellent, then I will look into those generators. Thank you. i appreciate the help without the i can't possibly do it.
Dee
TL;DR Summary
Traveling for generations
If i create a non combustible self-sustaining energy source that generates zero radiation, what kind of propulsion system could be designed? Is someone out there with that type of propulsion system already?

Physics news on Phys.org
Dee said:
TL;DR Summary: Traveling for generations

If i create a non combustible self-sustaining energy source that generates zero radiation, what kind of propulsion system could be designed? Is someone out there with that type of propulsion system already?
One good approach would be to use the energy to power an electrical generator. Then there is a multitude of electrical devices already developed and ready to use that power. That is how nuclear energy is used now by aircraft carriers and submarines. In aerospace, the issues of weight and safety are critical.

Likes russ_watters
Dee said:
If we ignore the 'self-sustaining' part to keep things within the realm of real physics, then you're basically talking about anything that could be powered by electricity. I believe anything with a propeller or a turbine would work, and if you can quickly heat a gas then anything that runs on rapid gas expansion.

Note that talk of free energy devices or perpetual motion is not permitted here at PF, in case that's what you meant by 'self-sustaining'.

Likes russ_watters
FactChecker said:
One good approach would be to use the energy to power an electrical generator. Then there is a multitude of electrical devices already developed and ready to use that power. That is how nuclear energy is used now by aircraft carriers and submarines. In aerospace, the issues of weight and safety are critical.
most excellent, then I will look into those generators. Thank you. i appreciate the help without the i can't possibly do it. Imagine if every person whos defied the laws of their modern science just didn't. lol

Dee said:
Imagine if every person whos defied the laws of their modern science just didn't.
That sentence is very hard to parse in English, but please remember that we don't defy any laws of science here at PF. We discuss mainstream science here, which is why you got that helpful answer from @FactChecker :wink:

Likes FactChecker and russ_watters
If you are looking for practical applications for your proposed power source, you will want to consider its power output - i.e. wattage. Some power sources can last virtually forever but have a very low maximum output (such as the power source aboard the space probes). Others have a virtually unlimited output. Do you know which flavour your device is?

Likes russ_watters, berkeman and FactChecker

1. What is a non combustible power source?

A non combustible power source is a type of energy that does not require the burning of fuel to generate electricity. This can include renewable sources such as solar, wind, and hydro power, as well as nuclear power.

2. How is a non combustible power source different from traditional power sources?

Unlike traditional power sources, non combustible power sources do not emit harmful pollutants into the environment. They also do not rely on finite resources, making them more sustainable in the long term.

3. What are the benefits of using a non combustible power source?

Using a non combustible power source can reduce our carbon footprint and help mitigate the effects of climate change. It also promotes energy independence and can create new job opportunities in the renewable energy industry.

4. Are there any drawbacks to using a non combustible power source?

One potential drawback is that non combustible power sources can be more expensive to implement compared to traditional fossil fuel sources. They may also face challenges with intermittency, as some sources like solar and wind can only generate electricity when conditions are favorable.

5. How can we transition to using more non combustible power sources?

We can transition to using more non combustible power sources by investing in research and development to improve the efficiency and reliability of these technologies. Governments can also provide incentives and policies to encourage the use of renewable energy sources, and individuals can make small changes in their daily lives such as using energy-efficient appliances and reducing their overall energy consumption.