If you could learn to play any musical instrument

• Music
  • Thread starter Dembadon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Instrument
In summary, the musician would like to learn to play the piano, saxophone, guitar, bagpipes, and drums, but would like to improve their skills more before attempting these instruments. They also have great respect for violin players and would like to develop their voice to the same level.
Dembadon
Gold Member
I hope to learn to play the piano someday. I love how it can fit into almost any genre of music, and I'm always moved by its fullness of sound and the variety of moods it can create all by itself.

Lacking any constraints (money, time, etc.), what musical instrument would you learn to play and why?

Science news on Phys.org
The piano is a good choice, and digital pianos are now finally reaching a standard where they are a reasonable substitute. (I rehearsed the solo part of Rachmaninoff's Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini with my symphony orchestra last week using my Roland FP-7F digital piano, although I find its sound a little irritatingly muffled at times).

I mainly play the violin (also several other orchestral instruments), which means usually I need to play with other people to get the full effect of any music.

On all my musical instruments, I find it a bit frustrating that the biggest limitation on my playing is that as an amateur with limited free time I do not have the time and patience to develop the strength and speed to play better, so I often end up playing in rather a sketchy way not because I don't know all the notes but because I simply do not have the necessary strength. On special occasions (such as when playing a concerto) I have taken extra time and built up my speed and strength (which also means I can play other works better for a while), but it doesn't last for long unless I keep at it.

Yes, piano for sure. It's the most versatile. And, in our times, you can buy electronic keyboards that are inexpensive compare to real pianos, and much smaller hence portable.

My voice. If I could sing well, I'd do some musical theater.

I must admit that if I had the money and the time then in addition to my current instruments there are several other instruments that would interest me, including the harp.

Or, if you count the "symphony orchestra" as an instrument, I'd certainly like to do more conducting.

saxophone

Guitar and electric organ/piano, but I'd also like to get (and learn to play) a Mellotron.

Bagpipes. I love the soulful sound. Still, I had some practice pipes a while back, and sometimes
I would tell people I was going home to play with my bagpipes, people would smile, as if I was
using a euphemism.

I am just now learning to play the radio. :cool:

My hope is to, by this time next year, graduate to "remedial tape-deck".

I've always wanted to learn how to play the drums but at my age I have no idea how I'd be able to get lessons without it being awkward.

f1ef5l.png

If only...

Seriously, I would like to learn piano and saxophone would be a lot of fun.

WannabeNewton said:
at my age I have no idea how I'd be able to get lessons without it being awkward.
Or breaking your arms? :p

Inasmuch as your profile photo is too dark to be seen, you seem to bear a disturbing resemblance to my niece. You don't happen to be a daffy Cree, do you?

Jonathan Scott said:
The piano is a good choice, and digital pianos are now finally reaching a standard where they are a reasonable substitute. (I rehearsed the solo part of Rachmaninoff's Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini with my symphony orchestra last week using my Roland FP-7F digital piano, although I find its sound a little irritatingly muffled at times).

I mainly play the violin (also several other orchestral instruments), which means usually I need to play with other people to get the full effect of any music.

On all my musical instruments, I find it a bit frustrating that the biggest limitation on my playing is that as an amateur with limited free time I do not have the time and patience to develop the strength and speed to play better, so I often end up playing in rather a sketchy way not because I don't know all the notes but because I simply do not have the necessary strength. On special occasions (such as when playing a concerto) I have taken extra time and built up my speed and strength (which also means I can play other works better for a while), but it doesn't last for long unless I keep at it.
Yes, I've come to realize I'll probably never be able to play as well as I'd like, but I hope to reach a point that'll be pleasant to listen to and fun to play. :) I have a great deal of respect for violin players; seems like an extremely difficult instrument to learn.
leroyjenkens said:
My voice. If I could sing well, I'd do some musical theater.
This is a close second on my list. I'd love to develop my voice as well.
WannabeNewton said:
I've always wanted to learn how to play the drums but at my age I have no idea how I'd be able to get lessons without it being awkward.
Most community colleges I've seen have courses geared towards beginners. However, you must also accept that learning any instrument is awkward for most people at first. :) After some time it will start feeling natural. Unless you meant awkward in some other respect (socially, culturally)?

Danger said:
Inasmuch as your profile photo is too dark to be seen, you seem to bear a disturbing resemblance to my niece. You don't happen to be a daffy Cree, do you?

No I'm a dude haha.

Dembadon said:
Unless you meant awkward in some other respect (socially, culturally)?

Yeah as in there just seems to be a bit of a stigma against people who start learning an instrument from the ground up well past their childhood/very early teens. I would feel too self-conscious as a result whilst learning.

WannabeNewton said:
No I'm a dude haha.
Oops! Sorry. :oops:

In retrospect, I should have known because you seem to have less facial hair than she does.

Drums or cello, but today I'd probably choose cello, I really like the sound (I can play the piano and guitar).

WannabeNewton said:
Yeah as in there just seems to be a bit of a stigma against people who start learning an instrument from the ground up well past their childhood/very early teens. I would feel too self-conscious as a result whilst learning.

It's hopefully only in your mind, dude! ;) I can of course only speak for myself, but I have great respect for anyone that tries to learn an instrument, regardless of age. I have tried to learn how to play drums, but I hadn't it quite "in me" and I realized it would take a lot of practice and time, time which I did not have at that moment.

EDIT: By the way, I started learning how to play the guitar at 20. A couple of years later, I was a guitar player in a band.

Last edited:
Dembadon said:
I hope to learn to play the piano someday. I love how it can fit into almost any genre of music, and I'm always moved by its fullness of sound and the variety of moods it can create all by itself.
There is another cool thing with piano, it comes with bonuses*; if you learn how to play it, it should be quite easy to learn how to play organs and synthesizers, at least in my experience (and Mellotrons too, I think, hehe).

Astronuc said:
, but I'd also like to get (and learn to play) a Mellotron.
Some Vsti mellotrons in the meantime, maybe? :):
I have tried one or two of these, but I don't remember how they sound...

* EDIT: There's a bonus with guitars too. Switching from guitar to bass is not particularly hard IMO.

Last edited:
I wish I could fiddle.

(There you go, Danger, a big fat fastball right over the plate...)

lisab said:
(There you go, Danger, a big fat fastball right over the plate...)
Thank you, my darling, but I think that I'll just take a walk on it. Given my history here, any mention of rosining up my bow would probably get me banned again. :rolleyes:

Dembadon said:
Lacking any constraints (money, time, etc.), what musical instrument would you learn to play and why?
The oboe. Why? Have a listen.

Theremin

592px-Etherwave_Theremin_Kit.jpg

I already know how to play guitar, when I was 21 I walked into a pawn shop and bought a used squire strat for 100 buck didn't know how to play so I used the left over cash I had working as a clerk at a quicke mart to pay for lessons, I wanted to play finger style like paul simon (think scarbouroh-fair) and electric like jimmy page. I ended up getting a classical teacher taught by someone who learned from andres sagovea so I learned classical, I only learned how to play a few songs but a can learn a new one if need be. I remember getting a violin bow and trying to play like jimmy page on Kashmir, it left rosin all over my fretboard and made a mess but it was fun when I was experimenting. now I got a Jackson with a Floyd rose (a shreaders guitar that I dreamed of when I was starting out.)

I could be a rock star but I don't practice much so I suck, still I can play black dog though. in the next life i'll do everything I ever wanted and be a rock star as well along with my other aspirations, I figure if your half way decent being a rock star is the only job I'd actually want to do (making millions while young) then I can concentrate the rest of my life doing science stuff.

thankz said:
in the next life i'll do everything I ever wanted and be a rock star
Has it crossed your mind that even if reincarnation existed, rock music probably wouldn't by the time you come back? It might be to that generation what banging sticks on stones is to ours.

Theremins are really cool. A bit more expensive :), but also cool: Laser harp.

Speaking of unusual "experimental" instruments/gadgets, I'd also like to mention the EBow, which I personally like (for guitarists):

It produces sounds similar to the sounds of the so-called Infinite Guitar.

Piano or guitar... leaning more towards piano. I am apathetic towards getting lessons though. I've played drums most of my life and they have been too fun for me to want to start all over again on another instrument.

Likes Medicol
I have no interest in creating music, but I really should learn the bagpipes just to scare the hell out of my neighbours as my Highlander ancestors intended.

Likes Medicol
Tuba players seem to have fun:

51B22533WYL.jpg

jtbell said:
Tuba players seem to have fun
And hernias. :rolleyes:

I'd like the piano and also my voice...

JOJO1985 said:
I'd like the piano and also my voice...

Is fantastic ?:cool:...Welcome to PF:)

Definitely the Sitar. But the Persian sitar...not the Indian one.

Check out this dude:

Likes RonL
David Carroll said:
Definitely the Sitar. But the Persian sitar...not the Indian one.

Check out this dude:

Amazing how things can captivate ones mind, I couldn't stop it:), but I did keep thinking about Stevie Ray Vaughn:D

Stevie Ray Vaughan was clearly influenced by the South Asian population in Dallas.:)

My first time visiting Dallas, I was driving from Upstate New York. As I was approaching Fort Worth, I was flipping through the radio stations and found an Indian radio station playing classical Indian music (not sure if it was Ravi Shankar or not). But anyway...that was my first impression of the Dallas/Fort Worth metro area.