Im assuming a factorization problem?

In summary, in the conversation, the user Ilikebugs is welcomed to the forum and reminded to attach images instead of linking to unreliable sites. They are also encouraged to show effort when posting questions. The problem being discussed involves finding the shortest path and the user has found a path of length 13 but is struggling to justify why it is the shortest. Another user suggests a "fuzzy" justification based on the obstacles in the path. The user is also asked about their belief that it is a factorization problem.
Ilikebugs
See attached image.

Attachments

• 8760b55089b34e1393e60bacf6d2a0ad.png
    8760b55089b34e1393e60bacf6d2a0ad.png
    32.9 KB · Views: 50
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi Ilikebugs and welcome to MHB! :D

It is preferable that you attach images to your post instead of linking to an image site, which may be unreliable. I've attached the image you linked to.

Also, we ask that users show some effort when posting questions so we may best know how to help. Why do you think the problem may involve factoring?

Well I have to justify why the shortest path is the shortest one. I can't find any way to justify why. The shortest path I've found is 13.

Ilikebugs said:
Well I have to justify why the shortest path is the shortest one. I can't find any way to justify why. The shortest path I've found is 13.

Hi Ilikebugs! That's a nice problem! ;)

The shortest I've found is 13 as well and I have no "hard" justification.
Perhaps only a "fuzzy" justification is needed?
Such as that it's the shortest path the goes between the King's Lake and the King's Forest.
And we might mention that without those 2 obstacles, we could get to 9.
Btw, what makes you think it's a factorization problem?

1. What is factorization?

Factorization is the process of breaking down a number or expression into its smaller factors. This is similar to finding the prime factors of a number.

2. How do you solve a factorization problem?

To solve a factorization problem, you need to first determine the factors of the given number or expression. Then, you need to find the common factors and write them as a product. Finally, you can check your answer by multiplying the factors back together.

3. Can all numbers or expressions be factorized?

Yes, all numbers and expressions can be factorized. However, some may have prime factors that are complex numbers, such as square roots or imaginary numbers.

4. Why is factorization important?

Factorization is important in various mathematical and scientific applications. It helps in simplifying expressions, finding common factors, and solving equations. It is also used in cryptography and coding theory.

5. What are some strategies for solving difficult factorization problems?

Some strategies for solving difficult factorization problems include:

• Breaking down the number or expression into smaller factors
  • Using the distributive property to rearrange terms
  • Looking for common factors or patterns
  • Using trial and error
  • Using algebraic techniques such as factoring by grouping or using the quadratic formula