I'm Confused about Buoyancy (Anime: A Certain Scientific Railgun)

In summary, the conversation discusses a fictional universe where characters have supernatural abilities. The ability to manipulate buoyancy is introduced, and the speakers question how it works and what its limitations are. There is a discussion about the relationship between manipulating vectors and buoyancy, and the idea that manipulating mathematical concepts can also manipulate physical objects. The conversation ends with the understanding that the concept of buoyancy in this universe may differ from its scientific definition.
ayami123
well I was watching the Third Season,
and I was Confused,
there's an esper her ability name is Float Dial it is an ability to control buoyancy.
at first I understand, that it controls fluids thus able to slide on water
walk on walker.

but how the does she able to lift the heavy concrete and make the mechanical mosquito with some dangerous medicine move to other direction ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
ayami123 said:
well I was watching the Third Season,
and I was Confused,
there's an esper her ability name is Float Dial it is an ability to control buoyancy.
at first I understand, that it controls fluids thus able to slide on water
walk on walker.

but how the does she able to lift the heavy concrete and make the mechanical mosquito with some dangerous medicine move to other direction ?
It's fiction.

jbriggs444 said:
It's fiction.

it's science fiction mind you, but is grounded by the lore thus , that has it's own laws that it does not bend.
example.
Accelerator, has the ability to manipulate vectors,

and as you know vectors is anything that has a magnitude and direction.
thus you already know what he can do,

Misaka, Railgun, has the Ability To Manipulate Electromagnetism

thus again you already know what she could do,
Magnetize Sand, Shot Electrics, and of course use railgun,

thus each of an ability has it's grounds on science just add some fiction stuff,

what I don't get is, how as I know is Bouyancy is something related to liquid,
that makes it float, so how does it effect if you can manipulate bouyancy,
what is the calculation do she need to lift boulders if she could Manipulate Bouyancy,
What does Bouyancy Do?
is it just a Direction the Object Push to the water?
or is it the force of water that push to the object ?
That's my question.

the "it's just fiction" doesn't answer my question,
unless we talk about it's sister series,
A Certain Magical Index, which relies on Religious, Folklores and Superstitious Laws to use their abilites.
and I'm not talking about that side of the story

It's not science.

jbriggs444 said:
It's not science.
yes, yes it's not science,
but what I meant is that how can you, if you have the power to manipulate bouyancy,
be able to lift a large pile of concrete with single hand.

what does the buoyancy do?
what can it you mostly?

ayami123 said:
yes, yes it's not science,
but what I meant is that how can you, if you have the power to manipulate bouyancy,
be able to lift a large pile of concrete with single hand.

what does the buoyancy do?
what can it you mostly?
"Buoyancy" is nothing more or less than fluid pressure added up over the surface of a body. If you want to manipulate buoyancy, you have to manipulate fluid pressure.

Fluid pressure part of the stress tensor that exists within a fluid. If one fictional character can manipulate vectors then another fictional character, after having been appropriately trained in a mathematical curriculum ought to be able to manipulate tensors.

Since this is a fictional universe, it requires no great leap of faith to imagine that manipulation of a mathematical description of a thing amounts to manipulation of the thing itself.

In other words:

It's magic.

jbriggs444 said:
"Buoyancy" is nothing more or less than fluid pressure added up over the surface of a body. If you want to manipulate buoyancy, you have to manipulate fluid pressure.

Fluid pressure part of the stress tensor that exists within a fluid. vectors

this is what the answer I need.
not the it's magic or fiction.

thus now I understand how she could lift boulders with one hand

thanks by the way

As my father said many times, "Man is not a rational animal. Man is a rationalizing animal".

jbriggs444 said:
As my father said many times, "Man is not a rational animal. Man is a rationalizing animal".

well, I may have structured the title in wrong words and meaning, my apologies.
should have been, what is buoyancy?, which should have solve the issue misunderstanding of what I want to ask,
rather than adding a Science Fiction, to my question.

Likes jbriggs444

What is buoyancy and how does it relate to "A Certain Scientific Railgun"?

Buoyancy is the upward force that a fluid exerts on an object placed in it. In "A Certain Scientific Railgun," buoyancy is often used in the form of electromagnetic fields to levitate objects or control their movement.

How is buoyancy different in anime compared to real life?

In real life, buoyancy is primarily influenced by an object's density and the density of the fluid it is placed in. In anime, buoyancy can be achieved through other means such as electromagnetic fields or supernatural powers.

Are there any real-life examples of buoyancy being used in a similar way to "A Certain Scientific Railgun"?

While the use of electromagnetic fields to control buoyancy is not currently possible in real life, there are some real-life applications of using electromagnetic fields to levitate and move objects. For example, magnetic levitation trains use this principle to float above the tracks and move at high speeds.

How does understanding buoyancy play a role in scientific research?

Buoyancy is a key concept in fluid dynamics and is used to understand the behavior of fluids and objects placed in them. This understanding is important in a wide range of scientific fields, including engineering, oceanography, and meteorology.

Is "A Certain Scientific Railgun" scientifically accurate in its portrayal of buoyancy?

While the anime may take some creative liberties with the concept of buoyancy, it is generally based on real scientific principles. However, as with any work of fiction, it is important to keep in mind that some aspects may be exaggerated or fictionalized for the sake of storytelling.

Back