I'm curious about radiation effect from high speed cpu

In summary, the author discusses the effects of high speed computation on electrical radiation. High speed computers use GHz electrical frequencies, which causes a radiation effect that becomes severe as the frequency becomes higher. Engineers should consider the effect of radiation on their designs. Lowering voltages reduces the effect.
goodphy
Hello.

We're in the age of the high speed computation. Personal computer clock speed is on the order of GHz and scientist looks for a way to raise the speed up to THz class.

I've read this from newspaper and got some question. I've learned in class that radiation effect becomes severe as electrical frequency becomes higher and higher on the conductor. Although I have no calculation of how much energy is lost to radiation, I guess this kind of loss is observable and maybe huge. Maybe industry already faces this side effect.

How is this effect controlled or minimized? Engineers should consider this effect..

Engineering news on Phys.org
Lowering voltages reduces the effect.

Likes goodphy
Don't believe everything you read. You get a greatly larger dose of radiation every time you go outdoors in sunshine.

Never forget that energy is conserved. To produce a "huge" amount of radiation energy, you need to put a "huge" amount of electric power in.

Likes goodphy
Various government agencies regulate the permissible EMI (which is the radiation you speak of) from electrical/electronic devices. Is is required to minimize interference to RF receiving devices nearby.

Every designer of commercial products must consider spurious emissions (Electromagnetic interference or EMI) and get product certification that they meet standards.
(It's a royal pain, BTW)

Emissions are reduced by proper grounding, shielding, filtering (edge rate control) and use of transmission lines (controlled impedance traces) in PCB's.

In the US, the emissions are controlled by FCC Part 15. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Title_47_CFR_Part_15

I think wifi, cell phones, emit more than typical computers.

Likes Jeff Rosenbury, donpacino, davenn and 1 other person
goodphy said:
Hello.

We're in the age of the high speed computation. Personal computer clock speed is on the order of GHz and scientist looks for a way to raise the speed up to THz class.

I've read this from newspaper and got some question. I've learned in class that radiation effect becomes severe as electrical frequency becomes higher and higher on the conductor. Although I have no calculation of how much energy is lost to radiation, I guess this kind of loss is observable and maybe huge. Maybe industry already faces this side effect.

How is this effect controlled or minimized? Engineers should consider this effect..
I think the main problem is not the loss of energy, which is very small, but problems caused to radio communication users (mobile phone, Wi-Fi, TV, PMR etc). They do not like their noise floor being raised by something that is not intended to radiate. Radio spectrum is now a commodity with high value. In a similar way to the FCC, Europe also has regulations in place under the EMC Directive 2004/108/EC.

Likes goodphy
If you are concerned about the danger to humans caused by low level non-ionizing radiation, it has been studied extensively.

Most studies show no harm from the radiation, but there is a correlation with the equipment. Most of this seems to be due to lifestyle choices. (Couch potatohood)

Likes goodphy

1. What is radiation effect from high speed CPU?

The radiation effect from high speed CPU refers to the emission of electromagnetic radiation from a computer's central processing unit (CPU). This type of radiation is known as high frequency electromagnetic interference (EMI) and can potentially interfere with other electronic devices.

2. How does radiation from high speed CPU affect humans?

The radiation from high speed CPU is non-ionizing, which means it does not have enough energy to cause direct damage to human cells. However, prolonged exposure to high levels of EMI may cause discomfort, headaches, and fatigue in some individuals.

3. Are all high speed CPUs equally prone to radiation effect?

No, the amount of EMI emitted by a CPU depends on its design and manufacturing process. Some CPUs are designed to minimize EMI, while others may have higher levels of radiation due to their speed and power.

4. Can radiation from high speed CPU damage electronic devices?

Yes, if the electronic device is not properly shielded, it can be affected by the EMI emitted by a high speed CPU. This can lead to malfunctions or even permanent damage to the device.

5. How can we protect ourselves from radiation effect from high speed CPU?

To protect yourself from the radiation effect of a high speed CPU, you can use shielded cables and devices, keep a safe distance from the CPU, and limit your exposure to it. Additionally, using a surge protector can help reduce the impact of EMI on other electronic devices.