I'm having trouble factoring this rational expression.

In summary, my work shows that the equation a^3-b^3/a^2-2ab+b^2 does not factor, and that the second fraction can be solved by multiplying the numerator and denominator by the same factor.
ECHOSIDE

Homework Statement

((a^3-b^3)/(a^2-2ab+b^2))/((2a^2+2ab+2b^2)/(9a^2-9b^2))

Not using complex number system.
Not concerned with domain.
Find the quotient and put it in simplest terms.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Too many to transcribe. Apparently I'm missing a legal operation somewhere. Wolfram|Alpha gives ((9)(a+b))/2, and I am able to reach equivalent answers, but not that simplest one.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Show some of your work please. The solution is very simple, just factorize everything.

ehild

my work so far

Thank you for your response. Here is my work so far.

((a^3-b^3)/(a^2-2ab+b^2))*((9a^2-9b^2)/(2a^2+2ab+2b^2))

((a-b)(a^2+2ab+b^2)/(a^2-2ab+b^2))*((9a^2-9b^2)/(2a^2+2ab+2b^2))

((a-b)(a^2+2ab+b^2)/(a^2-2ab+b^2))*((9)(a^2-b^2)/(2a^2+2ab+2b^2))

((a-b)(a^2+2ab+b^2)/(a^2-2ab+b^2))*((9)(a+b)(a-b)/(2a^2+2ab+b^2))

((a-b)(a^2+2ab+b^2)/(a^2-2ab+b^2))*((9)(a+b)(a-b)/2(a^2+ab+b^2))

((a-b)(a+b)(a+b)/(a-b)(a-b))*((9)(a+b)(a-b)/2(a^2+ab+b^2)

Edit: The last step should be (((a-b)(a+b)(a+b))/((a-b)(a-b)))*(((9)(a+b)(a-b))/(2(a^2+ab+b^2))). I missed a few critical parentheses in there. This should translate properly.

The trouble here is with the quantity (a^2+ab+b^2). Does that factor? Did I arrive there in error?

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Last edited:
ECHOSIDE said:

Homework Statement

I'm going to convert this to latex because it's just a pain to read in text format.

[tex]\frac{\left(\frac{a^3-b^3}{a^2-2ab+b^2}\right)}{\left(\frac{2a^2+2ab+2b^2}{9a^2-9b^2}\right)}[/tex]

And as you've done, converting it into

[tex]\frac{a^3-b^3}{a^2-2ab+b^2}\cdot \frac{9a^2-9b^2}{2a^2+2ab+2b^2}[/tex]

Now, your first mistake was an error in factorizing

[tex]a^3-b^3\neq (a-b)(a^2+2ab+b^2) = (a-b)(a+b)^2[/tex]

It's actually

[tex]a^3-b^3=(a-b)(a^2+ab+b^2)[/tex]

And so the second factor can't be factorized further. This should help you along because the same factor can be found in the denominator of the second fraction.

Likes 1 person
This was a huge help. It appears to be accurate. Thank you for taking the time to correct my elementary mistake.

Related to I'm having trouble factoring this rational expression.

1. Can you explain what a rational expression is?

A rational expression is a fraction that contains polynomials (expressions with variables) in the numerator and denominator. For example, 3x/2y is a rational expression.

2. How do I know if a rational expression can be factored?

A rational expression can be factored if both the numerator and denominator can be written as a product of simpler expressions. This means that all terms in the numerator and denominator should have common factors that can be canceled out.

3. What is the process for factoring a rational expression?

The process for factoring a rational expression involves identifying common factors in the numerator and denominator, canceling them out, and then factoring the remaining expressions. This may involve using techniques such as the difference of squares, grouping, or factoring by grouping.

4. What should I do if I'm still having trouble factoring a rational expression?

If you're having trouble factoring a rational expression, it may be helpful to review basic factoring techniques and practice with simpler expressions first. You can also try using online factoring tools or asking for help from a tutor or teacher.

5. Can you provide an example of factoring a rational expression?

Sure! Let's say we have the rational expression (x^2-4)/(x^2-2x-15). We can factor the numerator and denominator to get (x+2)(x-2)/(x-5)(x+3). Then, we can cancel out the common factor of (x-2) to get the simplified expression (x+2)/(x-5)(x+3).