I'm not sure which units I should convert this to

In summary, the prefixes used in the SI system are important to know in physics, but you can get by with memorizing the most common ones such as milli, centi, kilo, and micro. The prefixes are used to denote different units such as meters and seconds. When doing calculations, it is important to include units to ensure the accuracy of the result.
KittyCat1534
Misplaced Homework Thread. Moved from technical forums so no template
Homework Statement:: Hello, I have a simple question which goes like this:

Medical ultrasound waves travel at about 1392.8 m/s in soft tissue. Higher frequencies provide clearer images but don't penetrate to deeper organs. Find the wavelengths (mm) of 1.7-MHz ultrasound used in fetal imaging.

My question is , what is wavelengths(mm) ? Are they referring to megameter or mili meter in cases such as this?
Relevant Equations:: Wavelength = Wave speed / Frequency

Wavelength = Wave speed / Frequency

Wavelength = 1392.8 / 1.7 = 819

Physics news on Phys.org
KittyCat1534 said:
Homework Statement:: Hello, I have a simple question which goes like this:

Medical ultrasound waves travel at about 1392.8 m/s in soft tissue. Higher frequencies provide clearer images but don't penetrate to deeper organs. Find the wavelengths (mm) of 1.7-MHz ultrasound used in fetal imaging.

My question is , what is wavelengths(mm) ? Are they referring to megameter or mili meter in cases such as this?
Relevant Equations:: Wavelength = Wave speed / Frequency

Wavelength = Wave speed / Frequency

Wavelength = 1392.8 / 1.7 = 819
Speed is measured in ##[m/s]## and frequency in ##[1/s]##, so if you divide both you get ##[m/s]:[1/s]=[m/s]\cdot [ s ]=[ m ]##. The resulting number is in meter. Wavelengths are short, so the meter result is usually transformed into ##[ mm ]## for millimeter (a thousandth of a meter), ##[\mu m]## for micrometer (a millionth of a meter), or ##[ nm ]## for nanometer (a billionth of a meter).

The shorter the wavelength the more the energy.
And always use the units in any calculation, always!

Likes KittyCat1534 and Dale
KittyCat1534 said:
Lower case m is "milli" (10-3).
Upper case M is "Mega" (106).
Smaller letter goes with smaller unit and bigger letter with bigger unit.

A detailed list of SI prefixes can be found here. Note that prefix symbols are capitalized when greater than or equal to 106 otherwise they are lower case.

I note that your calculation is meaningless because it lacks units. If your number "819" is supposed to be meters, then that's a wavelength of about half a mile, much larger than the size of an organ in a typical patient. You need to convert 1.7 MHz to Hz before doing the division.

Last edited:
Likes KittyCat1534 and Lnewqban
kuruman said:
You need to convert 1.7 MHz to Hz before doing the division.
And as just explained: the M stands for 'mega', i.e. one million times. Hertz is another word for ##[1/s]##. So ##1.7 \,MHz= 1,700,000 \,[1/s]\;=## oscillating ##1.7## million times per second.

fresh_42 said:
Speed is measured in ##[m/s]## and frequency in ##[1/s]##, so if you divide both you get ##[m/s]:[1/s]=[m/s]\cdot [ s ]=[ m ]##. The resulting number is in meter. Wavelengths are short, so the meter result is usually transformed into ##[ mm ]## for millimeter (a thousandth of a meter), ##[\mu m]## for micrometer (a millionth of a meter), or ##[ nm ]## for nanometer (a billionth of a meter).

The shorter the wavelength the more the energy.
And always use the units in any calculation, always!
Thanks!

kuruman said:
Lower case m is "milli" (10-3).
Upper case M is "Mega" (106).
Smaller letter goes with smaller unit and bigger letter with bigger unit.

A detailed list of SI prefixes can be found here. Note that prefix symbols are capitalized when greater than or equal to 106 otherwise they are lower case.

I note that your calculation is meaningless because it lacks units. If your number "819" is supposed to be meters, then that's a wavelength of about half a mile, much larger than the size of an organ in a typical patient. You need to convert 1.7 MHz to Hz before doing the division.
Oh I see, do you think I need to memorize all of the prefixes?

KittyCat1534 said:
For physics class, you can probably get by with memorizing the big four:

m - milli (1/1000) e.g. millimeters or milliliters.
c - centi (1/100) e.g. centimeters or cubic centimeters
k - kilo (1000) e.g. kilometers or kilograms
##\mu## - micro (1/1,000,000) e.g. micron (micrometer) or microsecond

The d (deci) and h (hecta) prefixes are rarely used. The M (mega), G (giga) and T(tera) prefixes tend to get used mostly for high frequencies (Megahertz, Gigahertz, Terahertz) in my experience. The nano, pico, atto and femto prefixes tend not to appear in first year physics.

I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of times I've needed peta, exa, zetta and yotta. With four fingers left over. (I think I looked up exabyte once because it was a brand name).

Edit: Thanks, @sysprog for the corrections.

Last edited:
jbriggs444 said:
For physics class, you can probably get by with memorizing the big four:

m - milli (1/1000) e.g. millimeters or milliliters.
c - centi (1/100) e.g. centimeters or cubic centimeters
k - kilo (1000) e.g. kilometers or kilograms
##\mu## - micro (1/1,000,000) e.g. micron (micrometer) or microsecond

The d (deci) and h (hecta) prefixes are rarely used. The M (mega), G (giga) and T(tera) prefixes tend to get used mostly for high frequencies (Megahertz, Gigahertz, Terahertz) in my experience. The nano, pico, atto and femto prefixes tend not to appear in first year physics.

I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of times I've needed peta, exa, yetta and zotta. With four fingers left over. (I think I looked up exabyte once because it was a brand name).
It's zetta and yotta ##-## it seems like exa, then yotta, then zetta would be more alphabetic, but I guess that's not what 'they' were going for . . .

Exascale processing is just around the corner ##-##

Exascale Computing Project - Los Alamos National Lab

What is exascale computing?
sarrao-video-thumbnail.jpg

2:27
Exascale: The next frontier in computing

Exascale computing refers to computing systems capable of at least one exaflop or a billion billion [floating point] calculations per second (1018). That is 50 times faster than the most powerful supercomputers being used today and represents a thousand-fold increase over the first petascale computer that came into operation in 2008. How we use these large-scale simulation resources is the key to solving some of today’s most pressing problems, including clean energy production, nuclear reactor lifetime extension and nuclear stockpile aging.

KittyCat1534 said:
No. It is convenient to know them for ##10## up to the ##\pm 3,\pm 6, \pm 9##, but we live in times of links

1. How do I determine which units to convert to?

The first step is to identify the units you currently have and the units you need to convert to. Then, research the conversion factor between the two units. This can usually be found in a conversion table or by using a conversion calculator online.

2. Can I convert between any units?

No, not all units can be converted to one another. Units that measure different physical quantities, such as length and volume, cannot be converted without additional information. Make sure the units you are converting between are compatible.

3. What is the purpose of converting units?

Converting units allows us to express the same measurement in different units, making it easier to compare and understand. It also allows us to work with more convenient units for a particular calculation or experiment.

4. Is there a standard unit of measurement for all quantities?

No, there is not a universal standard unit of measurement for all quantities. Different systems of measurement, such as the metric system and the imperial system, have their own standard units for different quantities.

5. Can I convert between units using only a conversion factor?

Yes, if the units are compatible, you can use a conversion factor to convert between them. However, for more complex conversions, you may need to use multiple conversion factors or perform calculations to convert between units.