I'm trying to typeset a certain symbol in LaTeX

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for a crescent symbol in the comprehensive list of symbols, the possibility of creating one using TikZ, and the need for a horizontal border with "THE END" centered on a blank page. It also mentions a \moon{<day>} command in the TikZ library that draws a lunar phase, but with an outer border that the individual does not want. The possibility of modifying the code to create a black-filled crescent symbol is also mentioned.
Eclair_de_XII
TL;DR Summary
I'm trying to typeset a black-filled crescent moon symbol in LaTeX. I want it to be exactly like \faMoonO, but filled in. I can't seem to find it in the list.
https://tug.ctan.org/info/symbols/comprehensive/symbols-a4.pdf

The symbol I've described isn't in this list. I've searched "crescent" and "moon", but to no avail. Will I have to go through the trouble of creating one myself using TikZ, or something?

Also, I need a horizontal border to insert above and/or below the words "THE END", which are centered vertically and horizontally in an otherwise blank page. If anyone knows of a package that already typesets an ending card, and allows also for extra decoration, I'd very much be glad to hear it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, if you use the TikZ library there is a command \moon{<day>} that takes the day of the lunar month as an argument and draws the corresponding lunar phase ...
Ssnow

• Informative
Likes FactChecker
There's no mention of such a macro in the official manual. If this is in reference to that StackExchange article, then that article explicitly mentions that that moon macro is a custom one. Moreover, it has that outer border that I don't want. I'll do some research on how to modify the code to create a black-filled crescent symbol.

1. How do I typeset a certain symbol in LaTeX?

To typeset a symbol in LaTeX, you can use the command \symbolname, where "symbolname" is the name of the symbol you want to use. You can also use the package "amssymb" to access a wider range of symbols.

2. What if the symbol I want to use is not available in LaTeX?

If the symbol you want to use is not available in LaTeX, you can create a new command using the \newcommand or \renewcommand commands. This will allow you to define your own symbol and use it throughout your document.

3. How can I change the size or style of a symbol in LaTeX?

You can change the size and style of a symbol in LaTeX using the commands \displaystyle, \textstyle, \scriptstyle, and \scriptscriptstyle. These commands allow you to adjust the size and style of the symbol within a specific context.

4. How do I insert a symbol above or below another symbol in LaTeX?

To insert a symbol above or below another symbol in LaTeX, you can use the commands \overset and \underset. These commands allow you to place a symbol above or below another symbol, respectively.

5. Can I use symbols from different languages in LaTeX?

Yes, you can use symbols from different languages in LaTeX by loading the appropriate packages for each language. For example, you can use the package "babel" to access symbols from different languages, such as Greek or Cyrillic.