Image degradation (compression?) in copied threads

In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of images losing quality when they are copied from one thread to another. It is noted that the images undergo extra compression, leading to visible differences in the photos. The cause of this issue is unknown and a solution is not currently available.
DennisN
Gold Member
2023 Award
Hi!
I recently noticed that posted images can lose quality when they are copied from a thread to a new thread. It seems they undergo some extra compression, and I don't understand why.

Compare for instance the photos in this PF photo contest thread with the photos in the corresponding vote thread. It is quite visible if you compare the two night sky photos by Marzena.

If it's a bug or feature, I don't know :smile:, and I wanted to let you know about it.

Physics news on Phys.org
hmmm I'll have to test. It will be processed again as that is just part of the post action. The compression is lossy so there shouldn't even be extra compression possible and furthermore even reasonably detectable.

Likes DennisN
I see the difference in the twilight gradient. There are bands in the copied version. I don't know a way around this though.

I did a check on the image info from each and while some of them are the same in both threads, some are smaller in the voting thread, so some extra compression has happened. In one case the difference was something like 40k down to 15K but most were small amounts lower. Visually I can't tell the difference anyway.

Greg Bernhardt said:
I see the difference in the twilight gradient. There are bands in the copied version. I don't know a way around this though.
No worries :smile:. I haven't noticed it before until I looked at my own photo in the PF Night Fever vote thread.

1. What is image degradation in copied threads?

Image degradation in copied threads refers to the loss of image quality that occurs when an image is compressed and then copied multiple times. This can result in a decrease in image resolution, clarity, and color accuracy.

2. Why does image degradation occur in copied threads?

Image degradation occurs in copied threads due to the process of compression, which reduces the file size of an image by removing unnecessary data. When an image is copied multiple times, the compression process is repeated, resulting in a loss of image quality.

3. How does image compression affect image quality?

Image compression can significantly affect image quality as it removes data from the image file. This can result in a decrease in image resolution, loss of fine details, and a decrease in color accuracy.

4. Can image degradation be prevented in copied threads?

While it is not possible to completely prevent image degradation in copied threads, it can be minimized by using lossless compression techniques or by limiting the number of times an image is copied and compressed.

5. Are there any ways to improve image quality after compression and copying?

There are some techniques that can be used to improve image quality after compression and copying, such as using image editing software to manually adjust the image's resolution and color settings. However, these techniques may not fully restore the original image quality.