Image Markup Questions: Refresh Basics in V18 Binary Operators

• MHB
  • Thread starter karush
  • Start date
In summary, the problem is asking for the function $g(f(2,3),4)$ where $f(2,3)$ is the function given as a composite of $f(a,b)$ and $g(a,b)$.
karush
Gold Member
MHB
Screenshot 2021-11-28 at 7.58.34 PM~2.png

image due markup questions

ok i tried to find the ?? binary operater on this but couldn't find on the given list of formats. also still need a primer on these since the last time i did a few of these was 6 years ago! don't think its a hard problem just need to refresh the basics

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
karush said:
i tried to find the ?? binary operater on this
I am not sure what you mean by ?? and by "on this". "Operator" is spelled with "o".

karush said:
but couldn't find on the given list of formats.
I am not sure what you mean by formats.

A binary operator is a function of two arguments. The difference is that function applications are usually written in prefix notation: $f(x, y)$, while operators use infix notation: $x\mathop{f}y$.

well the format here is 7a+5b+8
yes I saw the f(x,y) notation but I also saw a?b= notation

ok I assume the binary operator here is addition or $\oplus$ since we are adding
but I do not know what a and b is

why are they giving (a*b)=a+6b

but then it asks (2$\oplus$3)*4=
[(7(2)+5(3)+8]*4=148

or am I all botched on this

Last edited:
karush said:

image due markup questions

ok i tried to find the ?? binary operater on this but couldn't find on the given list of formats. also still need a primer on these since the last time i did a few of these was 6 years ago! don't think its a hard problem just need to refresh the basics
You are making a mountain out of a molehill.

2 :) 3 = 7(2) + 5(3) + 8 = 14 + 15 + 8 = 37

What's 37*4?

-Dan

topsquark said:
You are making a mountain out of a molehill.

2 :) 3 = 7(2) + 5(3) + 8 = 14 + 15 + 8 = 37

What's 37*4?

-Dan
148yes but it also said a*b=a+6b see spoiler in OP so is it 37{2+6{3}}=
so the operator is a :) ?

karush said:
well the format here is 7a+5b+8
When a function $f$ is defined by an equation $f(a,b)=e$, I've never seen the expression $e$ referred to as "format".

karush said:
ok I assume the binary operator here is addition or ⊕\oplus since we are adding
but I do not know what a and b is
One binary operator is called :). You can as well call it $f$, $\varphi$ or smiley_face. The name is completely irrelevant. Let's go with $f$. The definition $a\;: )\;b=7a+5b+8$ is equivalent to $f(a,b)=7a+5b+8$. Similarly, the second function (let's call it $g$) is defined as $g(a,b)=a+6b$. The problem asks to find $g(f(2,3),4)$.

so in short we have... what we have here is a composite function of
f(a, b) or a:)b = 7a+5b+8 and g(a b) = a+6b
hence g(f(a,b),4)
so then 2 :)3 = 7(2) + 5(3) + 8 = 14 + 15 + 8 = 37
finally g(37,4) = 37+6(4)=37+24=61

That's correct.

10 more to go
but i think its sinking in
strange none of was ever mentioned in any of my textbooks

1. What is image markup?

Image markup is the process of adding annotations or labels to an image in order to identify and highlight specific features or areas of interest. This can be done manually or through computer software.

2. What is the purpose of image markup?

The main purpose of image markup is to provide a visual aid for understanding and analyzing images. It allows for easier identification and comparison of different features within an image and can also help with data analysis and interpretation.

3. What are binary operators in image markup?

Binary operators are mathematical functions used in image markup to combine or manipulate images. These operators include addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division, and are used to create new images or modify existing ones.

4. What is V18 in image markup?

V18 refers to the 18th version of a specific image markup software or tool. It may contain updated features, bug fixes, and improvements from previous versions.

5. How often should I refresh my knowledge of image markup basics?

It is recommended to refresh your knowledge of image markup basics periodically, especially if you are using new or updated software versions. This can help improve your skills and efficiency when working with images.