Imaginary number i in Pauli matrixes

However, if our space were only two-dimensional, we would not need the imaginary number i to achieve mutually orthogonal eigenvectors. In summary, the imaginary number i is necessary in the Pauli matrices due to the condition of having 3 mutually orthogonal eigenvectors. However, if our space were two-dimensional, the use of i would not be necessary to achieve this condition.
Jonathan freeman
Is the imaginary number i "necessary" in the pauli matrices simply because of the condition of having 3 mutually orthogonal axi?
If space were two dimensional we wouldn't need the i imaginary number?

Physics news on Phys.org
Jonathan freeman said:
Is the imaginary number i "necessary" in the pauli matrices simply because of the condition of having 3 mutually orthogonal axi?
If space were two dimensional we wouldn't need the i imaginary number?
The Pauli matrices are what they are because a) they represent spin components in 3D space (in some sense); b) they apply to two-component spinors, which are complex-valued; and, c) in effect, they must have mutually orthogonal eigenvectors.

You could try to find three 2x2 real matrices that meet these criteria, but it's not difficult to show that it's not possible.

Last edited: