Impacted on a Surface wave of a tension-ed Anchor cable

In summary, the conversation is discussing what happens to a tensioned anchor line when it encounters a surface wave, both transverse and longitudinal. The tension in the cable determines the speed of the wave, and there is reflection at the boundary between the wave and the cable. The outcome depends on the components of the wave and whether the cable is flexible or not. The interaction forces between the wave and the cable are small compared to those between the wave and the boat. The problem is complex and involves many variables, such as the speed of the wave and the permeability of the cable. The goal is to understand how the surface wave interacts with the cable and the effects of tension on the wave.
Tom79Tom
I'm trying to figure out what happens to a tension-ed anchor line when encountered by a surface wave (transverse and longitudinal )

Assuming a 2 dimensional view, or that the cable is sufficiently wide that the wave cannot go 'around it' what happens to the path and speed of the surface wave .

Anchor Line.jpg

Is a portion of the wave encountering the boundary reflected by Snells way from the boundary? (upward) Is the reflection coefficent higher the higher the tension in the cable ?

As speed is directly proportional to tension Does the portion transmitted to the anchor cable travel along its length at faster speed .

Does the transmitted portion also transmit thru to the water below returning to the same speed?

Is the outcome related to only one component transverse or longitudinal or is it the same ?

Attachments

• Anchor Line.jpg
    Anchor Line.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 539
Physics news on Phys.org
Isn't this the same action as at a beach?

Tom79Tom said:
the cable is sufficiently wide that the wave cannot go 'around it'
So it's actually a flexible barrier?

Is this question really about what happens to the tension in the anchor cable when the wave hits the boat ?
The interaction forces between the wave and the anchor cable are minute compared with the interaction forces between the wave and the boat .

If though we take your question literally then a moving column of water is pressing down on a flexible sheet with an uncertain fixation at the boat end . Working out what happens in that case would take forever since there are so many variables involved .

A.T. said:
So it's actually a flexible barrier?
Yes that's probably a good description! but under tension... I'm trying to understand how the surface wave (at depth) would interact with it . without the tension i would see the sheet just transmit the wave ..i might be wrong ?

Nidum said:
The interaction forces between the wave and the anchor cable are minute compared with the interaction forces between the wave and the boat .
No i am not really interested in the boat, its more an analogy- it could be replaced with a post etc that fixes the tension in the otherwise flexible sheet? Does that make it simpler ?
Anchor line 2.jpg

Many thanks for your time

Attachments

• Anchor line 2.jpg
    Anchor line 2.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 501
Assuming that there is free flow of water between the upper and lower sides of the sheet then at slow speeds this is just a point load on a washing line type problem .

At higher speeds there will be horizontal and vertical load components . These will require a hydrodynamic analysis to evaluate . No easy but probably do-able for an idealised version of the problem .

Nidum said:
Assuming that there is free flow of water between the upper and lower sides of the sheet then at slow speeds this is just a point load on a washing line type problem .
If it was sufficiently permeable wouldn't the wave be allowed to transmit ? I'm assuming it would be impermeable to have any effect ? The speed range in question for ocean waves is 10-20 meters per second ? is that slow speed or fast?

That's the third version of the problem in as many posts .

Please let us have a more definitive description of the problem that you are trying to solve .

Tom79Tom said:
what happens to a tension-ed anchor line when encountered by a surface wave (transverse and longitudinal )
Tom79Tom said:
Assuming a 2 dimensional view, or that the cable is sufficiently wide that the wave cannot go 'around it'
Nidum said:
That's the third version of the problem in as many posts .
I haven't revised it, . I started with the statement that the cable was under tension and the wave couldn't go around That remains the scenario i still wish to explore. I'm not sure what else i can add to the description
The examples i can find about reflection from an impedance discontinuity all talk about changes in density but rarely (never) talk about the action of a surface wave encountering tension. Its like a surface wave hitting a really wide guitar string underwater

In principle I think it is like a sound wave hitting a diaphragm. It will be reactive above and below resonance, where it will reflect part of the energy, and will be nearly transparent at resonance. However, the water is a dense medium, so I think the membrane will be strongly coupled to it and its own resonance will be largely damped out, making it nearly transparent at all frequencies. The tension of the membrane will be negligibly small compared to the moving mass of water.

1. What is an impacted surface wave?

An impacted surface wave is a type of wave that travels along the surface of a material, such as water or a cable, and is caused by an external force or impact.

2. How does a tensioned anchor cable create an impacted surface wave?

A tensioned anchor cable creates an impacted surface wave when it is subjected to an external force, such as a strong wind or a sudden change in water currents. This force causes the cable to vibrate, creating a surface wave that travels along its length.

3. What are the effects of an impacted surface wave on a tensioned anchor cable?

The effects of an impacted surface wave on a tensioned anchor cable can include increased stress and strain on the cable, potential damage to the anchor system, and potential loss of stability for the anchored structure.

4. How can the impact of surface waves on a tensioned anchor cable be minimized?

The impact of surface waves on a tensioned anchor cable can be minimized by properly designing and installing the anchor system, regularly inspecting and maintaining the cable, and taking precautions during severe weather conditions.

5. Are there any safety concerns associated with impacted surface waves on tensioned anchor cables?

Yes, there can be safety concerns associated with impacted surface waves on tensioned anchor cables, such as increased risk of cable failure and potential damage to surrounding structures or vessels. It is important to properly monitor and maintain tensioned anchor cables to ensure the safety of all parties involved.