Impedance matching between two 50 ohm cables through a joint

In summary, the conversation is about handling impedance matching through a joint of copper wire between two 50-ohm coaxial cables, which is an interface between atmosphere and a UHV system. The goal is to avoid reflection as much as possible and there are discussions about possible solutions and the use of proper RF feedthroughs. The issue is complicated by the high frequency and the fact that there is no continuity of the coaxial shield through the joint.
Traceless
Hi,

I'm in a bind trying to determine how to handle impedance matching through a joint of copper wire sandwiched between two 50-ohm coaxial cables (the joint is an interface between atmosphere and a UHV system). There is a signal pulse with a rise time of 2 ns coming through one of the coaxial cables, through the joint, and into the other cable, where it then continues through to a series of electronics. I am trying to avoid reflection as much as possible. Any ideas? Thank you very much.

Engineering news on Phys.org
hi

draw a pic Am trying to envision where the 3rd wire comes into the picture ??1

and can you clarify this please ...

Traceless said:
(the joint is an interface between atmosphere and a UHV system).
cheers
Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
The impedance of the "joint" needs to match that of the coax as closely as possible and be suitable for the frequency range. What connectors are being used?

Perhaps scroll down this page to the "COAXIAL CONNECTOR CHART"

http://ecee.colorado.edu/~kuester/Coax/connchart.htm

Are you sure any reflection is coming from the joint?

Hi everyone,

Thank you for your responses. The joint is a copper wire feed-through within a flange on a UHV chamber. I've attached a poor drawing, but hopefully it portrays what I'm trying to describe. I think we've found another solution, but I'd still like to understand how this particular issue could be solved by impedence matching.

Thank you very much,

~Randall

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k1aer8mmaszst9p/Note111915_1.jpg?dl=0

That is going to cause reflections, and with a rise time of 2ns you might run into some problems. I doubt there is an easy way to solve this without a complete re-design.
Is the copper just a feed-through? Or, does it have some other purpose?
If your goal is just to get an RF signal into a vacuum chamber the best solution is just to buy a proper RF feedthrough.

Likes CWatters and berkeman
Traceless said:
Hi everyone,

Thank you for your responses. The joint is a copper wire feed-through within a flange on a UHV chamber. I've attached a poor drawing, but hopefully it portrays what I'm trying to describe. I think we've found another solution, but I'd still like to understand how this particular issue could be solved by impedence matching.

Thank you very much,

~Randall

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k1aer8mmaszst9p/Note111915_1.jpg?dl=0
How is ground fed through that connection? If you don't feed the ground through as well, you will have serious problems.

(Assuming that ground is fed through as well and you just didn't draw it...) What are the source impedance and load impedance? If they are both 50 Ohms, then you will not get ringing at the load due to the impedance mismatch of the feedthrough. You will get a reduced amplitude pulse at the load due to energy lost in the reflection at the feedthrough, but the "back termination" effect of the 50 Ohm source will keep you from getting ringing at the load. If either the source impedance or load impedance are something other than your transmission line's 50 Ohms, you will get ringing at the load due to the feedthrough impedance mismatch.

Manufacturers of vacuum equipment sell vacuum-tight feedthroughs with coaxial connectors on each side. I suggest that you replace your feedthrough with one of those.

Hi again everyone,

Thanks to all of you for replying. Yes, we have a flange with a coaxial feedthrough on another chamber. The initial issue was because of a deadline that prevented us from taking the time to order a new flange. Fortunately, things have changed and this was solved. However, I continued the conversation because I was curious if this could be solved in any other way for future reference.

If this problem is simply not possible to solve easily (and since the problem was essentially solved using a different flange), then feel free to discontinue the thread. As for the other questions, the signal is actually coming from the vacuum chamber from a detector through the flange and to other electronics and the ground connection is actually the chamber itself.

Thank you very much.

The problem is that at high frequencies the physical shape of wires and cables affects their electrical properties. You have to treat them as transmission lines. Its quite a complex subject but there are lots of books and articles on the subject.

Traceless said:
Hi again everyone,

Thanks to all of you for replying. Yes, we have a flange with a coaxial feedthrough on another chamber. The initial issue was because of a deadline that prevented us from taking the time to order a new flange. Fortunately, things have changed and this was solved. However, I continued the conversation because I was curious if this could be solved in any other way for future reference.

If this problem is simply not possible to solve easily (and since the problem was essentially solved using a different flange), then feel free to discontinue the thread. As for the other questions, the signal is actually coming from the vacuum chamber from a detector through the flange and to other electronics and the ground connection is actually the chamber itself.

Thank you very much.
The main issue for me is that, despite the high frequency, this is an electrical circuit, and yet you do not have continuity of the
coaxial shield through the joint.

Likes davenn

1. What is impedance matching?

Impedance matching is the process of ensuring that the impedance of a source and a load are equal, in order to minimize signal reflections and maximize power transfer.

2. Why is impedance matching important in cable joints?

In cable joints, impedance matching is important because it minimizes signal reflections and ensures efficient transmission of the signal between the two cables. This helps to maintain signal integrity and prevent loss of power.

3. How is impedance matching achieved in cable joints?

Impedance matching in cable joints can be achieved by using an impedance matching transformer or by adjusting the length and diameter of the cables to match the desired impedance.

4. What are the consequences of not having proper impedance matching in cable joints?

If there is a mismatch in impedance between the two cables in a joint, it can lead to signal reflections, loss of power, and distortion of the signal. This can result in poor signal quality and potential damage to the equipment.

5. Can impedance matching be achieved with different types of cables?

Yes, impedance matching can be achieved with different types of cables. However, it is important to ensure that the characteristic impedance of the cables is known and matched properly to avoid any signal distortion or loss of power.