Implications of violation of the Leggett–Garg inequality

In summary: What are the implications of the second premise (the impossibility of measuring the system without disturbing it)? (I know that it means like the observer-effect in QM, our act of measurement will have influences on the classical systems, but how much can this cause worry for foundation of science?)That's a difficult question. On the one hand, it would seem that any measurement you make on a quantum system changes the state of the system, and so has the potential to disturb it in some way. On the other hand, it's worth noting that we don't really know how much disturbance an observer can cause, and so it's possible that we don't really know how much impact our measurements have on the
alphajoza
Please consider the following premises and correct me if I'm wrong in anyone:

1. Based on the results of the experimental investigation of Bell's theorem and violation of the Bell's inequality, locality in tandem with reality is not applicable to quantum systems (no theory of local realistic hidden variables is possible);
  2. Based on the results of the experimental investigation of violation of Leggett inequality (here and here), realism is not applicable to quantum systems (quantum realism: notion that physical systems possesses complete sets of definite values for various parameters prior to, and independent of, measurement);
  3. Based on the results of the experimental investigation of violation of Leggett–Garg inequality (here), macroscopic realism is no longer acceptable.
My questions are:

1. I think that the violation of Bell's theorem is generally accepted in scientific community, what about the consensus on violation of Leggett inequality and Leggett–Garg inequality?
  2. The result of violation of Leggett inequality (no quantum realism) is the endorsement of Copenhagen Interpretation (for this specific case)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Emary, Lambert and Nori in an article called Leggett-Garg Inequalities stated that "Violation of a genuine Leggett-Garg test implies either the absence of a realistic description of the system or the impossibility of measuring the system without disturbing it".

I think that the implication of first premise (the absence of a realistic description of the system) is the violation of what we call Realism (macroscopic one) and what Einstein pointed out as: "I like to think the moon is there even if I am not looking at it". Is my understanding right?

What are the implications of the second premise (the impossibility of measuring the system without disturbing it)? (I know that it means like the observer-effect in QM, our act of measurement will have influences on the classical systems, but how much can this cause worry for foundation of science?)

alphajoza said:
I think that the implication of first premise (the absence of a realistic description of the system) is the violation of what we call Realism (macroscopic one) and what Einstein pointed out as: "I like to think the moon is there even if I am not looking at it". Is my understanding right?
I would say that from violation of Leggett inequality you can conclude that the question: "Does the moon have a certain spin along z-axis?" sometimes won't have certain answer. But from that statement to the statement that "the moon is not there when nobody is looking at it" is quite a leap and I see no justification for that leap.
alphajoza said:
What are the implications of the second premise (the impossibility of measuring the system without disturbing it)? (I know that it means like the observer-effect in QM, our act of measurement will have influences on the classical systems, but how much can this cause worry for foundation of science?)
You don't need Leggett inequality to conclude that. Just take unpolarized photon beam and three polarizers. Look at the beam through two polarizers that have their polarization axis orthogonal to each other. Observe that there is no light. Then insert third polarizer between the first two with polarization angle midway between the first two. Observe that there is some light passing through (1/8 of the initial intensity). Make conclusions.

Moderator's note: I have moved a post here that was in a separate thread. @alphajoza please do not start two separate threads on the same topic.

alphajoza said:
Please consider the following premises and correct me if I'm wrong in anyone:

1. Based on the results of the experimental investigation of Bell's theorem and violation of the Bell's inequality, locality in tandem with reality is not applicable to quantum systems (no theory of local realistic hidden variables is possible);
  2. Based on the results of the experimental investigation of violation of Leggett inequality (here and here), realism is not applicable to quantum systems (quantum realism: notion that physical systems possesses complete sets of definite values for various parameters prior to, and independent of, measurement);
  3. Based on the results of the experimental investigation of violation of Leggett–Garg inequality (here), macroscopic realism is no longer acceptable.
My questions are:

1. I think that the violation of Bell's theorem is generally accepted in scientific community, what about the consensus on violation of Leggett inequality and Leggett–Garg inequality?
  2. The result of violation of Leggett inequality (no quantum realism) is the endorsement of Copenhagen Interpretation (for this specific case)?

There are a number of "No-go" theorems that are pretty well accepted. Bell being the most well known and one of the easiest to follow. It is also one which lends itself to empirical testing. Others include Kochen–Specker, Leggett, Gleason, GHZ, PBR. All of these, in one way or another, point to rejection of the following:

Quantum Realism: the notion that [entangled] physical systems possesses complete sets of definite values for various parameters prior to, and independent of, measurement.

I would say that the above is almost universally rejected by physicists, regardless of their interpretation at this point. Even in Bohmian/DBB interpretations, it is difficult to assert that that entangled observables are independent of the nature of a measurement on the system. At the same time, I would say that most physicists also reject the following statement:

Quantum Locality: the notion that entangled physical systems of two particles consists of two independent particles.

So I personally agree with your main conclusion, that realism is not tenable. But the generally accepted view is that it is viable despite my comments above. So perhaps a bit of contradictory views, I don't think there is much practical impact on this.

Last edited:
The Leggett-Garg inequality is one I would like to see tested properly in my lifetime.

Some years back, an article appeared in Nature -- https://www.nature.com/articles/nphys1698
However, the experiment referred to did not take into account the clumsiness loophole.

DrChinese said:
There are a number of "No-go" theorems that are pretty well accepted. Bell being the most well known and one of the easiest to follow. It is also one which lends itself to empirical testing. Others include Kochen–Specker, Leggett, Gleason, GHZ, PBR. All of these, in one way or another, point to rejection of the following:

Quantum Realism: the notion that [entangled] physical systems possesses complete sets of definite values for various parameters prior to, and independent of, measurement.

I would say that the above is almost universally rejected by physicists, regardless of their interpretation at this point. Even in Bohmian/DBB interpretations, it is difficult to assert that that entangled observables are independent of the nature of a measurement on the system. At the same time, I would say that most physicists also reject the following statement:

Quantum Locality: the notion that entangled physical systems of two particles consists of two independent particles.

So I personally agree with your main conclusion, that realism is not tenable. But the generally accepted view is that it is viable despite my comments above. So perhaps a bit of contradictory views, I don't think there is much practical impact on this.
Thank a lot for your clarification; Just one remained question; Is the value definiteness of of Bohmian mechanics (postulation of an actual configuration that exists even when unobserved) in contrast with the result of Leggett inequality (NO Quantum Realism: the notion that [entangled] physical systems possesses complete sets of definite values for various parameters prior to, and independent of, measurement.)?

Last edited:
alphajoza said:
Thank a lot for your clarification; Just one remained question; Is the value definiteness of of Bohmian mechanics (postulation of an actual configuration that exists even when unobserved) in contrast with the result of Leggett inequality (NO Quantum Realism: the notion that [entangled] physical systems possesses complete sets of definite values for various parameters prior to, and independent of, measurement.)?

:welcome:

Our member Demystifier is better able to answer it that I. He is extremely well versed in the Bohmian position (excuse the intended pun). As best I understand from him (and I may have misunderstood him), the Bohmian view is in an observer dependent reality and is not consistent with classical realism - even though it is a hidden variable theory. After many discussions around definitions on this forum: I know that one person's words never quite stretch to meet another's. That gap leads to a lot back and forth. And don't be surprised if one physicist's use of the language is seemingly quite different than another's. They may actually agree (or vice versa).

1. What is the Leggett-Garg inequality?

The Leggett-Garg inequality is a mathematical expression that establishes a relationship between the probabilities of measurement outcomes at different times. It was proposed by physicists Anthony Leggett and Anupam Garg in 1985 as a way to test the validity of quantum mechanics against classical theories.

2. What does a violation of the Leggett-Garg inequality imply?

A violation of the Leggett-Garg inequality implies that the system being measured exhibits behavior that cannot be explained by classical theories. This is significant because it supports the validity of quantum mechanics, which allows for phenomena such as superposition and entanglement.

3. How is the Leggett-Garg inequality tested?

The Leggett-Garg inequality can be tested through experiments using systems that exhibit quantum behavior, such as single photons or superconducting qubits. These experiments involve measuring the correlations between measurements of the system at different times and comparing them to the predictions of classical theories.

4. What are the implications of a violation of the Leggett-Garg inequality?

A violation of the Leggett-Garg inequality has implications for our understanding of the fundamental laws of nature. It suggests that quantum mechanics is the correct theory for describing the behavior of systems at the microscopic level, and that classical theories are incomplete.

5. Can the Leggett-Garg inequality be violated in everyday life?

No, the Leggett-Garg inequality is only relevant for systems that exhibit quantum behavior, which is not typically observed in everyday life. However, its implications have far-reaching consequences for fields such as quantum computing and cryptography, which rely on understanding and harnessing quantum phenomena.