Implicit differentiation or just explicit?

In summary, the conversation is about whether to use implicit differentiation or explicit differentiation for a given problem. The person being asked for help suggests doing more research before posting and recommends searching for "implicit differentiation" for more information. The conversation is then closed.
Debaa
How do I figure whether to do implicit differentiation or just explicit?? Thanks for the answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
Debaa said:
How do I figure whether to do implicit differentiation or just explicit??
You really need to do a bit more research before posting questions such as this. You already received one warning today for a substandard post, so I won't hit you with another for this post.

Do you understand the words "implicit" and "explicit" and what they refer to? A web search for "implicit differentiation" would probably have given you the answer to your question.

Thread closed.

Likes Primordial_Coridal

1. What is the difference between implicit and explicit differentiation?

Implicit differentiation is used to find the derivative of a function that is not explicitly defined in terms of the independent variable. It is often used when the dependent variable cannot be easily isolated and solved for. On the other hand, explicit differentiation is used to find the derivative of a function that is explicitly defined in terms of the independent variable.

2. When should I use implicit differentiation?

Implicit differentiation is typically used when the function involves both the dependent and independent variables and cannot be easily solved for the dependent variable. It is also useful when finding the derivative of an equation that is not in the standard form of y = f(x).

3. How do I perform implicit differentiation?

To perform implicit differentiation, you will need to use the chain rule and the product rule. First, differentiate each term in the equation with respect to the independent variable. Then, solve for the derivative of the dependent variable by moving all terms with the dependent variable to one side and factoring it out.

4. Can implicit differentiation be used for all types of functions?

Yes, implicit differentiation can be used for all types of functions, including polynomial, exponential, trigonometric, and logarithmic functions. However, it is most commonly used for functions involving multiple variables or when the dependent variable cannot be easily isolated.

5. Are there any limitations to implicit differentiation?

Implicit differentiation has limitations when it comes to finding higher-order derivatives. It can become increasingly complex and time-consuming as the number of variables and terms in the function increases. In these cases, it may be more efficient to use explicit differentiation or other methods such as logarithmic differentiation.