Questions about implicit differentiation?

In summary, implicit differentiation is used when we have an equation without an explicit relationship between two variables, and we want to find the derivative of one variable with respect to the other. We use the chain rule to differentiate terms involving the implicit variable, which involves multiplying by the derivative of that variable with respect to the other variable. This allows us to find the derivative of the implicit function with respect to the independent variable.
EchoRush
TL;DR Summary
Quick questions about implicit differentiation.
I am new to calculus. I am doing well in my class. I just have a few questions about implicit differentiation. First, why do we call it "implicit" differentiation?

Also, when we do it, why when we differentiate a term with a "y" in it, why do we have to multiply it by a dY/dX? What does that actually do? What is the point of doing it? Why would it be wrong to not do it?

Here is an example in the attached image:

Attachments

• ImpDiff2.png
    ImpDiff2.png
    6.4 KB · Views: 357
Physics news on Phys.org
Implicit differentiation means we have a function ##f\, : \,\mathbb{R}\longrightarrow \mathbb{R}##, say ##y \longmapsto f(y)##. The derivative is ##\dfrac{df}{dy}## and nothing implicit happened up to here. Now what if ##y=g(x)## is itself a function ##g\, : \,\mathbb{R}\longmapsto\mathbb{R}##. Then we have ##x \longmapsto g(x) = y \longmapsto f(y)## and ##\dfrac{df}{dy}## doesn't tell us how ##f## changes with ##x##. So we do some quotient algebra: ##\dfrac{df}{dx} = \dfrac{df}{dy} \cdot \dfrac{dy}{dx} = \dfrac{df}{dy}\cdot \dfrac{dg}{dx}##. The first factor is the derivative of ##f## as we started with, according to the variable ##y##, and the second factor is the derivative of ##y=g(x)## according to the variable ##x##. Together we have ##\dfrac{df}{dx}=f\,'(y)\cdot g'(x)##. It is called implicite, since the function ##y=g(x)## is nested in ##f##. The variable of ##f##, which is ##y##, depends implicitly on the variable ##x## via the function ##g##.

EchoRush said:
First, why do we call it "implicit" differentiation?
Because we have an equation in which one variable, say y, is not explicitly given as a function of another variable, say x. For example, in the equation ##x^2 + y^2 = 4## we can treat y as if it were a function of x, even though we have no equation that directly relates x and y; i.e., we don't have a formula that gives a y value for a given x value. That would be an explicit ("explained") relationship between the two variables rather than the implicit ("implied") relationship in the equation I wrote.
EchoRush said:
Also, when we do it, why when we differentiate a term with a "y" in it, why do we have to multiply it by a dY/dX? What does that actually do?
Because of the chain rule.
If I use implicit differentiation with respect to x on the equation I wrote above, we have ##\frac d{dx}(x^2 + y^2) = \frac d{dx}4##, or ##2x + \frac d{dx}(y^2) = 0##.
To get the remaining derivative, use the chain rule like so: ##\frac d{du}u^2 \cdot \frac {du}{dx}##, where ##u = y^2##.
We end up with this equation: ##2x + 2y\frac{dy}{dx} = 0##. If necessary, we can solve for ##\frac{dy}{dx}## algebraically.

I've skipped a few steps, but I hope you are able to follow my explanation.

It is called implicit because we are not given an explicit equation ##y=f(x)## which we are able to explicitly differentiate with respect to x. Instead we are given a perplexed equation ##f(x,y)=0## (like ##x^2+y^3x=0## for example) which we can explicitly differentiate the terms involving ##x## (differentiation with respect to ##x## always) and implicitly differentiate the terms involving ##y=y(x)## using the chain rule as follows $$\frac{dg(y(x))}{dx}=\frac{dg(y)}{dy}\frac{dy}{dx}$$
where ##g(y)## is any function of y like ##g(y)=y^3##. I believe the above answers your second question also as to where the term ##\frac{dy}{dx}## comes from. It comes from the application of the chain rule of differentiation.

1. What is implicit differentiation?

Implicit differentiation is a mathematical technique used to find the derivative of an implicitly defined function, where the dependent variable is not explicitly expressed in terms of the independent variable.

2. When is implicit differentiation used?

Implicit differentiation is used when it is difficult or impossible to solve for the dependent variable in terms of the independent variable, as in cases where the equation is not in a standard form or when there are multiple variables.

3. What is the difference between implicit and explicit differentiation?

Explicit differentiation is used to find the derivative of a function where the dependent variable is explicitly expressed in terms of the independent variable. Implicit differentiation is used when the dependent variable is not explicitly expressed in terms of the independent variable.

4. How is implicit differentiation calculated?

To calculate the derivative using implicit differentiation, the chain rule and product rule are applied to the equation, treating the dependent variable as a function of the independent variable and differentiating with respect to the independent variable.

5. What are some real-world applications of implicit differentiation?

Implicit differentiation is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to model relationships between variables that are not explicitly defined. For example, it can be used to find the rate of change of a quantity in a chemical reaction or to optimize production costs in a business setting.