Improper Integral Question (convergence & evaluation)

In summary: How did it become \frac{1}{\sqrt{6} \arctan (\frac{\sqrt{t}}{6})} - \frac{1}{0}?It should be \lim_{x \to \infty} \frac{1}{\sqrt 6 } \arctan \sqrt \frac{x}{6}, because arctan(0)=0.Can you proceed?
Amad27
Hello, Two questions will be posed here.

(1) Question about Convergence; quick way.

Hello, I am trying to learn this concept on my own. My major question here is that,

Is there a quick way, to tell if an integral converges or diverges?

Suppose $\int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{x^3}{(x^2 + 1)^2}\,dx$

This integral does not converge.

It took a while, a long while to actually evaluate this with the natural log, partial fraction decomposition etc...

The question is, Is there a way to tell the convergence or divergence of an improper integral, WITHOUT evaluating it?

Or a general easier method.

If you know of any, please let me know. Absolutely ANY TECHNIQUE?

Secondly, an actual integral for evaluation.

$\int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{4}{\sqrt{x}(x+6)}\,dx$

$(4) \cdot \int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{x^{3/2} + 6x^{1/2}}\,dx$

First, I think it's a good idea to find the antiderivative. So the focus is, $\int \frac{1}{x^{1/2}(x + 6)}$

Some suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Olok said:
Hello, Two questions will be posed here.

(1) Question about Convergence; quick way.

Hello, I am trying to learn this concept on my own. My major question here is that,

Is there a quick way, to tell if an integral converges or diverges?

Suppose $\int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{x^3}{(x^2 + 1)^2}\,dx$

This integral does not converge.

It took a while, a long while to actually evaluate this with the natural log, partial fraction decomposition etc...

The question is, Is there a way to tell the convergence or divergence of an improper integral, WITHOUT evaluating it?

Or a general easier method.

If you know of any, please let me know. Absolutely ANY TECHNIQUE?

Secondly, an actual integral for evaluation.

$\int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{4}{\sqrt{x}(x+6)}\,dx$

$(4) \cdot \int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{x^{3/2} + 6x^{1/2}}\,dx$

First, I think it's a good idea to find the antiderivative. So the focus is, $\int \frac{1}{x^{1/2}(x + 6)}$

Some suggestions?

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} \int{ \frac{4}{\sqrt{x} \left( x + 6 \right) }\,\mathrm{d}x } &= 8 \int{ \frac{1}{\left( \sqrt{x} \right) ^2 + 6} \, \frac{1}{2\,\sqrt{x}}\,\mathrm{d}x } \\ &= 8 \int{ \frac{1}{u^2 + 6} \, \mathrm{d}u} \textrm{ after making the substitution } u = \sqrt{x} \implies \mathrm{d}u = \frac{1}{2\,\sqrt{x}}\,\mathrm{d}x \end{align*}$

You should be able to keep going...

Prove It said:
$\displaystyle \begin{align*} \int{ \frac{4}{\sqrt{x} \left( x + 6 \right) }\,\mathrm{d}x } &= 8 \int{ \frac{1}{\left( \sqrt{x} \right) ^2 + 6} \, \frac{1}{2\,\sqrt{x}}\,\mathrm{d}x } \\ &= 8 \int{ \frac{1}{u^2 + 6} \, \mathrm{d}u} \textrm{ after making the substitution } u = \sqrt{x} \implies \mathrm{d}u = \frac{1}{2\,\sqrt{x}}\,\mathrm{d}x \end{align*}$

You should be able to keep going...
Excellent trick,

How did you even think of that?

$= (8) (\frac{1}{\sqrt{6}})arctan(\frac{\sqrt{x}}{6}$

Keeping in mind that it is improper.

$\lim (8)[\frac{1}{\sqrt{6}arctan(\frac{\sqrt{t}}{6}} - \frac{1}{0}$
${{t}\to{\infty}} $

Uh oh, just noticed a major problem -_-

Olok said:
Excellent trick,

$= (8) (\frac{1}{\sqrt{6}})arctan(\frac{\sqrt{x}}{6}$

Keeping in mind that it is improper.

$\lim (8)[\frac{1}{\sqrt{6}arctan(\frac{\sqrt{t}}{6}} - \frac{1}{0}$
$ $

How did it become \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{\sqrt{6} \arctan (\frac{\sqrt{t}}{6})} - \frac{1}{0}\)?

It should be \(\displaystyle \lim_{x \to \infty} \frac{1}{\sqrt 6 } \arctan \sqrt \frac{x}{6}\), because arctan(0)=0.
Can you proceed?

Olok said:
Excellent trick,

It's just from experience, I've developed a taste for when certain things will work.

In this case, because there was $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \sqrt{x} \end{align*}$ in the denominator, and because I know that $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d}x} \left( \sqrt{x} \right) = \frac{1}{2\,\sqrt{x}} \end{align*}$, I realized that this $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \frac{1}{\sqrt{x}} \end{align*}$ factor could be used (after being scaled correctly) to change to a $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \mathrm{d}u \end{align*}$ if a substitution of $\displaystyle \begin{align*} u = \sqrt{x} \end{align*}$ was made everywhere else...

1. What is an improper integral and how is it different from a regular integral?

An improper integral is a type of integral that does not have finite limits of integration. This means that one or both of the limits of integration are infinite or the function being integrated is discontinuous at one or more points within the limits. This is different from a regular integral, where the limits of integration are finite and the function is continuous within those limits.

2. How do I determine if an improper integral converges or diverges?

The convergence or divergence of an improper integral can be determined by evaluating the limit of the integral as one or both of the limits of integration approaches infinity. If the limit is a finite number, then the integral converges. If the limit is infinite or does not exist, then the integral diverges.

3. What is the difference between a Type 1 and a Type 2 improper integral?

A Type 1 improper integral has one or both limits of integration as infinite, while the function being integrated is continuous within those limits. A Type 2 improper integral has one or more points within the limits of integration where the function is discontinuous, making it improper.

4. How do I evaluate an improper integral?

To evaluate an improper integral, you must first determine if it converges or diverges. If it converges, you can use various integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric substitution to evaluate the integral. If it diverges, you can use comparison tests or the limit comparison test to determine the behavior of the integral.

5. Can an improper integral have a finite value even if it does not converge?

No, an improper integral must converge in order to have a finite value. If the integral diverges, it means that the limit of the integral does not exist or is infinite, and therefore, the integral does not have a finite value.