Improve Readability of Text Wrapped in [code] Wrappers

• Thread starter Matterwave
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of light text in code wrappers and the various browsers and platforms where it appears. The original poster mentions that it is difficult to read and asks if it is possible to make it darker. Another user confirms that the text was indeed light and that it appears normal now after a change was made. The conversation then delves into the details of the change and the different browsers and operating systems where the issue was observed.
Matterwave
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi, is it possible to make the text that is wrapped in [code[ wrappers darker and easier to read? It's so light right now:

Code:
test
Look at this text! It's hard to read!
Oh noes!

Likes DataGG
Physics news on Phys.org
In my browser, the text is black.

It looks fine for me too (I'm using FireFox). What browser are you using?

Checking platforms:

Desktop Windows IE 11: Text is black and normal weight.

Android Tablet Opera: Text is black and normal weight.

Apple iPad Safari: Text appears 'gray' - I think it's black, but too light on the 'weight'.

I've checked w/ IE 10 and Firefox and it's black.

Matterwave said:
It's so light right now
Greg Bernhardt said:
I changed it. MW was correct :)
Of course MW was correct! PF members never lie. ;)

I'm interested in what you changed, from "what" to "what"?

TumblingDice said:
I'm interested in what you changed, from "what" to "what"?
I enabled code line numbers which apparently changed the style. I just revert back.

Haha, it was definitely very light when I looked at it last night! But it's dark and better now. :D

Likes TumblingDice
Matterwave said:
Haha, it was definitely very light when I looked at it last night! But it's dark and better now. :D
Most excellent! What browser/ 'puter/operating system are you observing from?

TumblingDice said:
Most excellent! What browser/ 'puter/operating system are you observing from?

I'm using windows 7 on Firefox.

I think, as Greg said, the code line numbers were making everything very light. Yesterday, I saw line numbers, and very light text. Now I see code without line numbers and dark.

I can confirm text was light yesterday.

1. How do I improve the readability of text wrapped in code wrappers?

To improve the readability of text wrapped in code wrappers, you can follow a few simple steps. First, make sure to use proper indentation and spacing within the code. This will make it easier to visually distinguish different sections of the code. Additionally, use comments to explain the purpose of each section or line of code. Finally, consider breaking up long lines of code into multiple lines to make it easier to read.

2. Is there a specific font or font size that is best for code wrappers?

There is no one specific font or font size that is considered the best for code wrappers. However, it is generally recommended to use a mono-spaced font, such as Courier or Consolas, as it helps maintain the alignment of the code. As for font size, it is recommended to use a size that is easily readable, typically between 10-14pt.

3. How can I make my code more organized and easier to read?

One way to make your code more organized and easier to read is to use proper indentation and spacing. This will help visually separate different sections of code and make it easier to follow the flow. Additionally, use comments and descriptive variable names to make your code more understandable. Finally, consider breaking up long lines of code into multiple lines for better readability.

4. Can I use color to improve the readability of my code wrapped in code wrappers?

Yes, using color can be helpful in improving the readability of code wrapped in code wrappers. You can use different colors for different types of code, such as keywords, variables, and comments. However, be cautious not to use too many colors as it can become distracting and make the code harder to read.

5. Are there any tools or resources available to help improve the readability of code wrapped in code wrappers?

Yes, there are various tools and resources available to help improve the readability of code wrapped in code wrappers. Some text editors have built-in features for formatting and organizing code, and there are also online code formatters that can help with this task. Additionally, there are style guides and best practices available for specific programming languages that can guide you in writing more readable code.