Move pop up when selecting text from bottom to right side

• Thread starter fluidistic
  • Start date
In summary: If you use the text selection to quote something, it would be in the way. It would be better if it were on top of the text, so that it would not be in the way.
fluidistic
Gold Member
When I read threads, I like to select text from time to time, be it because I leave the computer for a few seconds or minutes and I want to know where I was, or because it's simply easier for me to read this way. However since the last big upgrade of this forum, the pop up where "Quote" and "Reply" are displayed, when one selects a text, is displayed below the selected text. Which means that it hides the text of the post that's displayed below it. So I have to unselect the text in order to continue reading, which defeats the purpose of having selected it in the first place. That's very annoying to me (because of the way I use text selection). My suggestion would be to move the pop up on the bottom right side where nothing is displayed so that nothing would be hidden, the pop up message still there, and no annoyance whatsoever for people who do like me (though I might be the only one).

Physics news on Phys.org
fluidistic said:
So I have to unselect the text in order to continue reading, which defeats the purpose of having selected it in the first place.
Why don't you read first and select second? :smile:

Something I can think of off hand is that moving the selector to the right might be problematic for lower resolutions.

No matter where you put it, it would be in the way for someone.

Above the text? Bad if you marked a longer section and want to quote it - you might have to scroll up on mobile devices.
On top of the text? Bad if you use the highlighted text to quote something.
Below at any left/right orientation? can be on top of following text.

mfb said:
Bad if you use the highlighted text to quote something.
This is how the "Quote|Reply" looks on my browser. It's transparent, albeit only slightly so. Maybe Greg could make it a little lighter?
transparent.jpg

Greg Bernhardt said:
Why don't you read first and select second? :smile:

Something I can think of off hand is that moving the selector to the right might be problematic for lower resolutions.
Because it's not intuitive to know which text to select so that the pop up appears right where I was reading. It might even be impossible.

1. How does moving the pop-up when selecting text improve user experience?

Moving the pop-up from the bottom to the right side allows for more space to show the full content of the pop-up. This makes it easier for users to read and interact with the information provided in the pop-up without it being cut off or obstructed by other elements on the page.

2. Is it difficult to implement this feature?

The difficulty of implementing this feature depends on the specific programming language and platform being used. In general, it involves adjusting the CSS and/or JavaScript code responsible for the pop-up's position and animation. However, it is a relatively simple change that can greatly improve the user experience.

3. Will this feature work on all devices and browsers?

The feature should work on most modern devices and browsers, as long as they support CSS and JavaScript. However, it is always recommended to test the feature on different devices and browsers to ensure it is functioning correctly.

4. Can the position of the pop-up be customized?

Yes, the position of the pop-up can be customized according to the specific needs and preferences of the website or application. This can be done through adjusting the CSS code, which controls the layout and positioning of elements on a webpage.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to moving the pop-up to the right side?

One potential drawback is that users may be accustomed to seeing pop-ups at the bottom of the screen, so it may take some time for them to adjust to the new positioning. Additionally, on smaller screens, the pop-up may still appear at the bottom due to limited space on the right side. However, these potential drawbacks can be minimized by implementing the feature carefully and thoughtfully.