Improving the Efficiency of Light Bulbs: Possible Solutions?

In summary, the conversation discusses ways to make a light bulb more efficient in producing visible light. One suggestion is to replace the filament with a semiconductor material, essentially turning the light bulb into an LED. However, this may not be a new method as LED bulbs are already available. Another idea is to choose a filament with a high melting point or simply make the light bulb dimmer, but this may come at a cost. The conversation also touches on the interference of ambient light from a ceiling light bulb on a multitouch display using infrared light, and the possibility of reducing IR emissions by switching to an LED energy-saving light bulb.
robotpie3000
I just finished an experiment on blackbody radiation, and one of the post lab questions asked me on the possible ways in which a light bulb can be made more efficient such that the majority of the light it produces falls in the visible spectrum.

After some quick research I think one of the ways is to replace the filament with a semiconductor material so that the lightbulb essentially becomes an LED, but I'm not sure if that fully answers the question. I appreciate any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
If you do that, what you have is just an LED bulb, which you can already buy, so that isn't a NEW way to do it but it certainly IS a way to do it.

What does an Edison incandescent filament lightbulb emit other than visible light that might be converted to visible light?

In an incandescent light bulb, there is a lot of energy emitted in infrared wavelengths. There is an easy way to increase the visible-light component, but at a cost...

Is it to choose a filament whose metal has a very high melting point and/or simply make the lightbulb dimmer?

Hi all,

I'm joining this thread as I have a question related to the topic of IR/visible light radiation from light bulbs. I've built a multitouch display using infrared light, and I found that the ambient light from my ceiling light bulb is interfering with my device. I was wondering if changing my light bulb (a halogen) to an LED energy saving light bulb would reduce the amount of IR emitted ?

Thanks

Sorade said:
Hi all,

I'm joining this thread as I have a question related to the topic of IR/visible light radiation from light bulbs. I've built a multitouch display using infrared light, and I found that the ambient light from my ceiling light bulb is interfering with my device. I was wondering if changing my light bulb (a halogen) to an LED energy saving light bulb would reduce the amount of IR emitted ?

Thanks
Better to post a new thread. ANd to do some googleing beforehand. Plenty of answers around ! e.g. here

spectral_responses2.png

Thank you. Apologies for messing up with the thread.

1. What are the current methods being used to improve the efficiency of light bulbs?

Currently, the most commonly used methods to improve light bulb efficiency include using LED technology, implementing energy-saving features such as dimmers and motion sensors, and developing more efficient manufacturing processes.

2. Are there any new technologies or innovations being developed to improve light bulb efficiency?

Yes, there are ongoing research and development efforts to improve light bulb efficiency. Some examples include using nanotechnology to enhance LED efficiency, developing new materials for filament bulbs, and exploring the use of solar power for lighting.

3. How can we encourage people to switch to more efficient light bulbs?

There are several ways to encourage people to switch to more efficient light bulbs. These include providing financial incentives such as rebates or tax credits, educating the public about the benefits of using efficient lighting, and implementing regulations or standards that require the use of energy-efficient light bulbs.

4. Is it possible to make traditional incandescent bulbs more efficient?

Yes, it is possible to make traditional incandescent bulbs more efficient. One method is by using halogen technology, which can increase the efficiency of incandescent bulbs by up to 25%. However, these bulbs still use more energy compared to LED or CFL bulbs.

5. What are the environmental benefits of using more efficient light bulbs?

Using more efficient light bulbs can have significant environmental benefits. These include reducing energy consumption and greenhouse gas emissions, conserving natural resources, and decreasing the amount of toxic waste produced from discarded light bulbs.