Impulse and Force-Time Graph

In summary, the conversation discusses how to determine the magnitude, direction, and mass of an impulse acting on an object based on a given graph of force-time. The method involves estimating the area under the graph, with a maximum error of +/- 25%. The change in velocity is used to solve for the mass of the object. The conversation also includes a confirmation of the accuracy of the method and results.
Qube
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Given the graph (see picture), determine:

a) magnitude of impulse (max error of +/- 25%)
b) direction of impulse
c) mass of the object that the impulse acted on.

Note that initial velocity is 3.8 m/s to the west and that final velocity is 4.8 m/s to the east.

Homework Equations

1) Define an coordinate system. West is negative. East is positive. So that means initial velocity is -3.8 m/s and final velocity is + 4.8 m/s

2) Impulse is mass * change in velocity or force * change in time. Thus, impulse is the area under a force-time graph.

The Attempt at a Solution

Unfortunately, the graph of force-time is non-linear. To determine impulse, then, I used two triangles and estimated the sum of the areas of these two triangles.

This gives me the impulse. The magnitude of the impulse is 0.875 N*s to the east since the change in velocity is positive (and thus to the east).

Because impulse is equal to mass * change in velocity, I can now easily solve for the mass of the object.

Attached please find a picture of my work. I would appreciate it if you guys could verify the accuracy of my method and results. Note that the blue rectangle in the picture of the graph below represents my attempt to apply a Reimann sum to find impulse ... I think doing the Reimann sum would have been considerably more difficult and likely less accurate to boot!

http://i.minus.com/jbjAWztX3spxVC.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Qube said:

Homework Statement

Given the graph (see picture), determine:

a) magnitude of impulse (max error of +/- 25%)
b) direction of impulse
c) mass of the object that the impulse acted on.

Note that initial velocity is 3.8 m/s to the west and that final velocity is 4.8 m/s to the east.

Homework Equations

1) Define an coordinate system. West is negative. East is positive. So that means initial velocity is -3.8 m/s and final velocity is + 4.8 m/s

2) Impulse is mass * change in velocity or force * change in time. Thus, impulse is the area under a force-time graph.
The impulse is the area under the F t graph, but the answer is very easy if you relate it to mΔv instead.

AM

Right, but I don't have mass. Mass is an unknown in this example problem. I do have the change in velocity though.

Looks good. Of course, you didn't have to split it into two separate triangles. The area of the big triangle is bh/2, where b is the full base and h is the altitude.

Chet

Your method for determining the impulse and the mass of the object is correct. The impulse is indeed equal to the area under the force-time graph, and using two triangles to estimate the area is an appropriate approach. Your calculation of the mass is also correct, assuming that the units for impulse are N*s. However, it would be helpful to include units in your final answer for the mass, which would be in kilograms (kg).

Additionally, it would be beneficial to include a brief explanation of how you determined the direction of the impulse. You correctly noted that the change in velocity is positive, indicating that the impulse is in the same direction as the final velocity (to the east). This could be explicitly stated in your response.

Overall, your response is accurate and demonstrates a good understanding of the concepts of impulse and force-time graphs. Keep up the good work!

What is impulse?

Impulse is the change in momentum of an object. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object and the time period over which it acts.

What is a force-time graph?

A force-time graph is a graphical representation of the force acting on an object over a period of time. The x-axis represents time, and the y-axis represents force. The slope of the graph represents the rate of change of force, which is equal to the acceleration of the object.

How does impulse affect an object's motion?

Impulse causes a change in an object's momentum, which results in a change in its velocity or direction of motion. The greater the impulse, the greater the change in momentum and the greater the effect on the object's motion.

What can be determined from a force-time graph?

A force-time graph can provide information about the acceleration of an object, as well as the force acting on the object at any given time. The area under the graph represents the impulse, which can also be calculated by finding the product of force and time.

How are impulse and force related?

Impulse and force are directly proportional, meaning that an increase in force will result in an increase in impulse. This is because the longer a force is applied to an object, the greater the change in its momentum will be.