Impulse imparted to A by B during collision

In summary: Thanks for clarifying.In summary, when an elastic collision takes place, the impulse is equal to the mass difference multiplied by the speed of the objects before the collision.
tooter555

Homework Statement

Small object A (mass: [m][/A]) is traveling in a linear path on a horizontal surface and collides elastically with small object B ([m][/B]), at rest on the same line, with a speed of v. Friction between the objects and the horizontal surface is negligible.
BICAM14

What is the impulse imparted to A by B during the collision? The positive direction of impulse is defined as the direction of A's velocity before collision.
H8LOF8x

Correct answer is 1.

Homework Equations

Impulse = mdv
v - 0 = [v][/B] - [v][/A]
and maybe [m][/A]v = [m][/B][v][/B] + [m][/A][v][/A]?

The Attempt at a Solution

Isn't the impulse simply -[m][/A]v? Since collision was elastic, change in velocity be v - 0 = v. The direction would be towards the negative because [m][/A] would be moving in the opposite direction after collision.

Physics news on Phys.org
tooter555 said:

Homework Statement

Small object A (mass: [m][/A]) is traveling in a linear path on a horizontal surface and collides elastically with small object B ([m][/B]), at rest on the same line, with a speed of v. Friction between the objects and the horizontal surface is negligible.

http://imgur.com/BICAM14

What is the impulse imparted to A by B during the collision? The positive direction of impulse is defined as the direction of A's velocity before collision.

http://imgur.com/H8LOF8x

Correct answer is 1.

Homework Equations

Impulse = mdv
and maybe [m][/A]v = [m][/B][v][/B] + [m][/A][v][/A]?

Isn't the impulse simply -[m][/A]v? Since collision was elastic, change in velocity be v - 0 = v. The direction would be towards the negative because [m][/A] would be moving in the opposite direction after collision.

tooter555 said:

What does "elastic" mean?
Which of the four relevant velocities is given by "v"?

tooter555 said:
Since collision was elastic, change in velocity be v - 0 = v.
You seem to be saying that A is stationary after the collision. That will only be true (for an elastic collision) if the masses are equal.

Likes scottdave
v is the initial speed of mass A. I think v - 0 = [v][/B] - [v][/A] is correct since the the collision is elastic. And subbing v = [v][/B] - [v][/A] into [m][/A]v = [m][/B][v][/B] + [m][/A][v][/A], I was able to get the answer. Thanks for the advices.

If I remember correctly, a perfectly elastic collision means that the total Kinetic Energy after the collision equals the total Kinetic Energy before the collision. You can use this information to create an equation, to help you solve for the unknowns.

tooter555 said:
Yes. I know this as (a special case of) Newton's Experimental Law. It can be deduced from conservation of momentum+conservation of energy.
The general form involves coefficient of restiturion, for imperfect elasticity.
scottdave said:
total Kinetic Energy after the collision equals the total Kinetic Energy before the collision.
Yes, but using momentum conservation and NEL is equivalent, and avoids quadratics.

Likes scottdave
haruspex said:
Yes. I know this as (a special case of) Newton's Experimental Law. It can be deduced from conservation of momentum+conservation of energy...using momentum conservation and NEL is equivalent, and avoids quadratics.

Cool. Like I said, it'd been awhile. So I've forgotten about NEL, but I don't think I'll ever forget Conservation of Momentum, and Energy. Yes I do now recall about using the coefficient of restitution, when collision is inelastic.

What is impulse imparted to A by B during collision?

Impulse imparted to A by B during collision refers to the change in momentum that occurs when object A collides with object B. It is a measure of how much force is applied to an object over a certain period of time.

How is impulse calculated?

Impulse is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the time period over which the force is applied. The formula for impulse is J = F * Δt, where J is impulse, F is force, and Δt is the change in time.

What is the relationship between impulse and momentum?

Impulse is directly proportional to momentum. This means that a greater impulse will result in a greater change in momentum, and a smaller impulse will result in a smaller change in momentum.

What factors affect the impulse imparted during a collision?

The factors that affect the impulse imparted during a collision include the mass and velocity of the objects involved, as well as the duration of the collision. A larger mass or higher velocity will result in a greater impulse, while a longer collision time will result in a smaller impulse.

Why is impulse important in understanding collisions?

Impulse is important in understanding collisions because it helps us to understand the amount of force that is applied to an object during a collision. It also allows us to analyze the change in momentum and determine the outcome of the collision, such as whether the objects will stick together or bounce off of each other.