Impulse Momentum Theorem + Egg Drop?

In summary, the impulse momentum theorem explains how the force and time during a collision affect the change in momentum. In your egg drop experiment, the mass of the egg and its changing velocity demonstrate the concept of momentum. The force applied during the collision with the ground over a certain amount of time is known as the impulse. By changing either the force or the time, the same amount of impulse can be achieved, resulting in a change in momentum. This can be seen in your example of 100 Newtons over 1 second and 5 Newtons over 20 seconds, both resulting in the same amount of impulse and change in momentum. Overall, the impulse momentum theorem helps to understand the relationship between force, time, and momentum during a
hannahd
Impulse Momentum Theorem + Egg Drop??

I have to explain how the impulse momentum theorem relates to my egg drop. My egg was padded with a styrofoam cup and tissues and a plastic bag parachute. Honestly, I don't understand the impulse momentum theorem and I am in need of help!
I have fall times, the drop distance, final velocity, avg acceleration, mass, impulse, and max KE if that helps.All I know is that impulse is directly related to the change in momentum.

Physics news on Phys.org

This is a guess:
Your egg drop project is the mass, and it is falling with a changing velocity. For something to have momentum it has to have mass and velocity. Next, the momentum of your project is falling and when it collides with the ground it is stopped by a force over an amount of time. Force over an amount of time is an impulse.

Hopefully that helps...?

Judah said:
This is a guess:
Your egg drop project is the mass, and it is falling with a changing velocity. For something to have momentum it has to have mass and velocity. Next, the momentum of your project is falling and when it collides with the ground it is stopped by a force over an amount of time. Force over an amount of time is an impulse.

Hopefully that helps...?

I understand that stuff, but I don't get this: my teacher said if you increase time, force slows down. If you increase force time usually slows down...how does that apply here?? I feel like I'm just sounding like an idiot haha

Oh, say you have a give momentum. To change it you can increase the time and make the force smaller. Or make the force larger and make the time smaller.

Example: 100 Newtons X 1 Second = 100 Newtons per second
5 Newtons X 20 Seconds = 100 Newtons per second

See same Impulse, but different amounts

In this case, the impulse is the force applied to the egg over a period of time, which results in a change in the egg's momentum. The impulse momentum theorem states that the impulse applied to an object is equal to the change in the object's momentum.

In the context of the egg drop, the impulse momentum theorem can help us understand how the padding and parachute affected the egg's momentum. As the egg fell, it gained momentum due to the acceleration of gravity. However, when it reached the bottom and the padding and parachute were activated, the impulse of the impact was spread out over a longer period of time, reducing the force and therefore the change in momentum. This helped to protect the egg from breaking upon impact.

Additionally, the impulse momentum theorem can also be used to calculate the maximum kinetic energy of the egg at impact. The formula for kinetic energy is 1/2 * mass * velocity^2. By using the final velocity and mass of the egg, we can calculate the maximum kinetic energy it had at impact. This can help us understand the effectiveness of our padding and parachute in reducing the impact force and protecting the egg.

In conclusion, the impulse momentum theorem is a useful tool in understanding the relationship between force, momentum, and the effectiveness of safety measures in an experiment like the egg drop. By considering the impulse and change in momentum, we can better understand the physics behind the experiment and make informed decisions on how to protect the egg from breaking.

Related to Impulse Momentum Theorem + Egg Drop?

1. What is the impulse momentum theorem?

The impulse momentum theorem is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the change in momentum of an object is equal to the impulse acting on the object. It is expressed mathematically as:
F*t = m*(vf - vi), where F is the force acting on the object, t is the time interval during which the force acts, m is the mass of the object, and vf and vi are the final and initial velocities of the object, respectively.

2. How is the impulse momentum theorem related to the egg drop experiment?

The egg drop experiment is a classic demonstration of the impulse momentum theorem. The experiment involves dropping an egg from a certain height and designing a contraption that will prevent the egg from breaking upon impact with the ground. By using the impulse momentum theorem, students can calculate the necessary force and time interval to safely bring the egg to a stop without breaking it.

3. What factors affect the momentum of an object in the egg drop experiment?

The momentum of an object in the egg drop experiment is affected by its mass and velocity. A heavier egg or a higher velocity will result in a greater momentum. Other factors that can affect momentum include air resistance and the design of the contraption used to protect the egg.

4. How does the impulse momentum theorem help us understand the outcome of the egg drop experiment?

The impulse momentum theorem helps us understand the outcome of the egg drop experiment by providing a mathematical relationship between the force, time, and change in momentum of the egg. This allows us to calculate the necessary force and time interval to safely bring the egg to a stop without breaking it.

5. Can the impulse momentum theorem be applied to other real-world scenarios?

Yes, the impulse momentum theorem can be applied to many real-world scenarios, such as car crashes, sports, and rocket launches. It is a fundamental principle that helps us understand the transfer of momentum between objects and the forces involved in the interaction.