Is Terror Justifiable Depending on the Circumstances?

• News
  • Thread starter klimatos
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of terror and terrorism by both individuals and nation states. While some argue that terror in the hearts of enemies can be a good thing, others believe that it is only justified in certain circumstances. It is also mentioned that nation states can be guilty of terrorism, contrary to legal definition. The conversation concludes with a suggestion to read more about the topic for a better understanding.
klimatos
In Defense of "Terror"

Why all the concern about “terrorism” in the last few years? We’ve had terrorism (as currently defined) as long as we’ve had human societies.

Moreover, it’s beginning to give terror a bad name. I want the enemies of the United States to tremble in terror as they scan the skies in search of the next drone attack. I want the enemies of the United States to peer in abject terror over their shoulder lest they see the black balaclavas of a Delta team. Terror in the hearts of our enemies is a good thing.

When terror is used against us and our friends, of course, it is a bad thing. Lots of things are either good or bad depending upon the circumstances, and the use of terror is one of these things.

Keep in mind that in using terror as a weapon, the United States is not guilty of “terrorism”. By legal definition, nation states are never guilty of “terrorism”. Only sub-national groups or individuals not acting on behalf of their governments can commit “terrorism”.

Physics news on Phys.org
klimatos said:
Why all the concern about “terrorism” in the last few years? We’ve had terrorism (as currently defined) as long as we’ve had human societies.

Moreover, it’s beginning to give terror a bad name. I want the enemies of the United States to tremble in terror as they scan the skies in search of the next drone attack. I want the enemies of the United States to peer in abject terror over their shoulder lest they see the black balaclavas of a Delta team. Terror in the hearts of our enemies is a good thing.

When terror is used against us and our friends, of course, it is a bad thing. Lots of things are either good or bad depending upon the circumstances, and the use of terror is one of these things.

Keep in mind that in using terror as a weapon, the United States is not guilty of “terrorism”. By legal definition, nation states are never guilty of “terrorism”. Only sub-national groups or individuals not acting on behalf of their governments can commit “terrorism”.
The US doesn't go to peaceful civilian neighborhoods that have no known insurgents and send in suicide bombers. If an American were to strap bombs to himself and enter a crowded department store in London and blow themselves up, that would be an act of terrorism. We've had discussions on here many, many times.

If you do not know why we are in Afghanistan or Pakistan, you can read this, perhaps it will clear up some confusion.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/09/03/27/A-New-Strategy-for-Afghanistan-and-Pakistan/

Not sure if serious.

These guys strap bombs to their bellies. How exactly do we make them tremble in terror? And why is that a solution? I don't see how bringing chaos to chaos would result in order.

klimatos said:
Why all the concern about “terrorism” in the last few years?
Um, really? You don't think 3,000 dead civilians and a handful of collapsed skyscrapers (for starters...) is something to be concerned about?
We’ve had terrorism (as currently defined) as long as we’ve had human societies.
We've also had sunburn as long as we've had humans. Should we not be concerned about that either?

You're not differentiate between "terror" and "terrorism". You're not getting why one is illegal/immoral and the other is not. Not sure how to help with that, since it seems you need to start from the beginning - I guess I'd suggest you start by reading the wiki on it.
That's completely false. Again, I'd suggest you start by reading the wiki on the subject. Your understanding of the concept is extremely thin.

Last edited:

klimatos said:

Why is this thread is not locked?

WhoWee said:
Why is this thread is not locked?
Good idea, a quick search shows over 20 threads on this topic.

What is the main argument of "In Defense of Terror"?

The main argument of "In Defense of Terror" is that terrorism is a justifiable means of political resistance against oppressive governments and systems. The book argues that violence and terrorism are necessary in order to achieve social change and justice.

Who is the author of "In Defense of Terror"?

The author of "In Defense of Terror" is Michael Ignatieff, a Canadian academic, author, and former politician. He has written several books on political philosophy and international relations.

What evidence does the author use to support their argument?

The author uses historical examples, such as the American Revolution and the French Revolution, to argue that violence and terrorism have been effective in bringing about political change. He also cites the actions of groups like the Irish Republican Army and the African National Congress as evidence of the justifiability of terrorism.

What are some common criticisms of "In Defense of Terror"?

Some common criticisms of "In Defense of Terror" include the argument that the book presents a dangerous and unethical justification for violence, and that it ignores the innocent lives lost and the long-term consequences of terrorism. Critics also argue that the book fails to consider non-violent methods of resistance and ignores the principles of non-violent activism.

How does "In Defense of Terror" contribute to the larger conversation on terrorism and political violence?

"In Defense of Terror" sparks important debates and discussions about the role of violence and terror in achieving political goals. It challenges traditional beliefs and raises questions about the effectiveness and morality of using violence as a means of resistance. The book also highlights the complexities and nuances of terrorism, adding to the ongoing conversation about how to address and prevent acts of terror in the world.