In memory of Martin Richard and Officer Sean Collier

• News
  • Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Memory
In summary: The funeral for Martin Richard, the 8-year-old boy killed in the Boston Marathon bombing, and Massachusetts Institute of Technology police officer Sean Collier, who was fatally shot by the suspects, were held on Tuesday. The Richards family held a private funeral Mass for Martin followed by burial, while Collier's funeral was held on the MIT campus. Both families expressed gratitude for the love and support they have received during this difficult time. In summary, funerals were held for Martin Richard and Officer Sean Collier, who were both victims of the Boston Marathon bombing and its aftermath.
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2023 Award
http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/funeral-held-boy-killed-marathon-bomb-19023472
AP/ABC said:
Funerals were held Tuesday for the 8-year-old boy killed in the Boston Marathon bombing and the college police officer authorities say was shot by the suspects.

A private funeral Mass was held in the morning for young Martin Richard, followed by his burial, a family statement said. Only immediate family members attended. A funeral was also held for Massachusetts Institute of Technology police Officer Sean Collier, fatally shot three days after the bombing.

"The outpouring of love and support over the last week has been tremendous," the Richards' statement said. "This has been the most difficult week of our lives and we appreciate that our friends and family have given us space to grieve and heal."

. . . .
Peace be upon them and their families, friends and colleagues.

Physics news on Phys.org
Officer Collier's funeral was today.

http://news.yahoo.com/slain-mit-officer-memorialized-campus-163649349.html

A post at http://officer179.mit.edu/

The officer stood and faced his God, Which must always come to pass.
He hoped his shoes were shinning, Just as brightly as his brass.

Step forward now, Officer, How shall I deal with you?
Have you always turned the other cheek? To my church have you been true?

The officer squared his shoulder and said, No, Lord, I guess I ain't,
Because those of us who carry badges can't always be a saint.
I've had to work most Sundays, And at times my talk was rough,
And sometimes I've been violent Because the streets are tough.

But I never took a penny That wasn't mine to keep..
Though I worked a lot of overtime, when the bills got too steep.

And I never passed a cry for help Though at times I shook with fear.
And sometimes, God forgive me, I've wept an unmanly tear.

I know I don't deserve a place among the people here.
They never wanted me around except to calm their fear.

If you've a place for me here, Lord, it needn't be so grand.
I never expected or had too much, But if you don't...I'll understand.

There was silence all around the throne, where the saints often trod.
As the officer waited quietly for the judgment of his God.

Step forward now, Officer. You've borne your burdens well.
Come walk a beat on heaven's streets, You've done your time in hell

- Author Unknown
Godspeed brother. You won't be forgotten.

UMBPD 260
paul.parlon@umb.edu
4/22/2013

Nice poem and so true.

Related to In memory of Martin Richard and Officer Sean Collier

What is the significance of "In memory of Martin Richard and Officer Sean Collier"?

"In memory of Martin Richard and Officer Sean Collier" is a memorial phrase commonly used to honor the lives of Martin Richard and Officer Sean Collier, who were killed in the Boston Marathon bombing in 2013.

Who were Martin Richard and Officer Sean Collier?

Martin Richard was an 8-year-old boy who was one of the victims in the Boston Marathon bombing. Officer Sean Collier was a police officer at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) who was killed by the suspects involved in the bombing.

Why were Martin Richard and Officer Sean Collier honored together?

Martin Richard and Officer Sean Collier were honored together because they were both victims of the same tragic event, the Boston Marathon bombing. Their lives were taken in the same act of violence and they are remembered together as a way to honor their memory and show solidarity in the face of tragedy.

How are Martin Richard and Officer Sean Collier remembered?

Martin Richard and Officer Sean Collier are remembered through various memorials, including a plaque at MIT honoring Officer Collier and a peace garden in honor of Martin Richard. They are also remembered through the phrase "In memory of Martin Richard and Officer Sean Collier", which is often used as a tribute to their lives.

What is the impact of "In memory of Martin Richard and Officer Sean Collier"?

The phrase "In memory of Martin Richard and Officer Sean Collier" serves as a reminder of the lives lost in the Boston Marathon bombing and the impact it had on the city and its community. It also serves as a way to honor and remember the two individuals who tragically lost their lives in the attack.