In which situations does the equation for torque t=Iα hold?

• Thread starter Leo Liu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Torque
In summary: The equation in the OP then takes the form##\boldsymbol{\tau}=I\boldsymbol{\alpha}##where ##\boldsymbol{\tau}## is the torque vector, ##I## is the tensor of inertia, and ##\boldsymbol{\alpha}## is the angular acceleration vector.In summary, the equation ##\|\vec\tau\|=I\ddot\theta## can be used to calculate the torque on a rotating body. This equation can be derived from ##\|\vec L\|=I\dot\theta## and applies when the moment of inertia is constant. It can also be rewritten as ##\vec \tau = \frac{d\vec L}{dt}## and is valid for a
Leo Liu
The equation ##\|\vec\tau\|=I\ddot\theta## offers a way to calculate the torque acting upon a body which rotates about a fixed axle by using inertia and angular acceleration. This equation can be derived from ##\|\vec L\|=I\dot\theta##.

What I would like to know are the requirements for applying this equation. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think your equation as written is correct, since ##\ddot{\theta}## can certainly be negative. Better to write something like ##\tau_z = I \ddot{\theta}_z## or simply ##\tau = I \ddot{\theta}##.

Anyway, suppose a body is undergoing rotation about some fixed point ##\mathcal{O}## (this causes no loss in generality, since any infinitesimal motion can be described as the composition of a translation and a rotation, and by extension any motion can be described by the position of some reference point and the rotation around that reference point).

The moment of inertia tensor at the point ##\mathcal{O}##, which we might call ##I_{\mathcal{O}}##, is defined by an integral ##(I_{\mathcal{O}})_{ij} = \int dV \rho(x_k x_k \delta _{ij} - x_i x_j)##, N.B. summation over repeated indices, over the volume ##\Omega## which comprises the body. The ##\{ x_i \}## coordinates are relative to the origin ##\mathcal{O}##. Then$$L_i = (I_{\mathcal{O}})_{ij} \omega_j$$Now if the moment of inertia is constant during the motion,$$\tau_i = (I_{\mathcal{O}})_{ij} \dot{\omega}_j \equiv (I_{\mathcal{O}})_{ij} \alpha_j$$Furthermore, if the angular acceleration is constrained to only one direction, e.g. perhaps ##\boldsymbol{\alpha} = \alpha \boldsymbol{z} = \ddot{\theta}_z \boldsymbol{z}##, then all the terms in the sum on the RHS drop out except for one, in which case$$\tau_i = (I_{\mathcal{O}})_{iz} \alpha_z$$If you chose your coordinate system to coincide with the principal axes, then ##a\neq b \implies I_{ab} = 0## (i.e. the moment of inertia tensor has diagonal matrix representation), and simply you have$$\tau_z = (I_{\mathcal{O}})_{zz} \alpha_z, \quad \quad \tau_x = \tau_y = 0$$In cases like this it is conventional to rewrite something like ##(I_{\mathcal{O}})_{zz} \equiv (I_{\mathcal{O}})_{z}##.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes vanhees71, Leo Liu and dextercioby
To answer the question posed in the title of the thread, it holds in situations where the moment of inertia does not have a time dependence. More generally, $$\vec \tau=\frac{d\vec L}{dt}.$$

Likes nasu, Leo Liu and etotheipi
If ##I## in the OP is meant to be just a scalar this holds for the rotation of a rigid body around a fixed axis. ##I## is then the moment of inertia of the body around this fixed axis.

In general for a rigid body you have a tensor of inertia, explained nicely in ##3, describing the rotation of the body around a point fixed in the body.

Likes etotheipi

1. What is the equation for torque and what does it represent?

The equation for torque is t=Iα, where t represents torque, I represents moment of inertia, and α represents angular acceleration. This equation represents the relationship between the force applied to an object and its resulting rotational motion.

2. In which situations does the equation for torque hold true?

The equation for torque holds true in any situation where there is a force acting on an object that is free to rotate around a fixed axis. This includes situations such as a door being opened, a wheel turning, or a lever being used.

3. Can you explain the concept of moment of inertia in relation to the equation for torque?

Moment of inertia, represented by the variable I, is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion. It is similar to mass in linear motion, as it determines how difficult it is to change an object's rotational motion. In the equation for torque, the moment of inertia is multiplied by the angular acceleration to determine the torque.

4. How is the equation for torque related to Newton's second law of motion?

The equation for torque is closely related to Newton's second law of motion, which states that the net force acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. In rotational motion, torque is the equivalent of force, and angular acceleration is the equivalent of linear acceleration. Therefore, t=Iα can be seen as the rotational version of Newton's second law.

5. Are there any limitations to when the equation for torque can be used?

The equation for torque is a simplified version of the full equation, τ=rFsinθ, where τ represents torque, r represents the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied, F represents the magnitude of the force, and θ represents the angle between the force and the lever arm. The simplified equation, t=Iα, can only be used when the force is applied perpendicular to the lever arm. In other cases, the full equation must be used.