Torque about center of mass due to Coriolis force, is it 0?

In summary: Sure would be nice if the cross product was associative!In summary, the problem is trying to find the torque about the center of mass in a rotating frame, and the cross product is not associative.
Hiero
It’s essentially a question about cross product identities.

I want to analyze a problem in a frame of reference which is rotating with angular velocity ##\vec \Omega## relative to an inertial frame. In this non-inertial frame, we have a rigid body rotating with constant angular velocity ##\vec \omega## (which is neither parallel nor perpendicular to ##\vec \Omega##).

Now, I wanted to find the torque about the center of mass in this frame (as an alternative to dealing with the inertia tensor in the inertial frame).

I’m not sure how to deal with torque due to the coriolis force though.

The net coriolis force is zero,
$$\vec F_c=\int d \vec F_c=-2\int (\vec \Omega × \vec v )dm = -2\int \vec \Omega × ( \vec \omega × \vec r)dm = \vec \Omega × ( \vec \omega × \int \vec r dm)= 0$$
because that last integral is zero in the center of mass frame.

But I’m at a loss as to how to simplify the torque:
$$\vec \tau _c = \int \vec r ×d\vec F_c=-2\int (\vec r×( \vec \Omega × ( \vec \omega × \vec r))dm$$
Sure would be nice if the cross product was associative!

Any help in simplifying this is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think it is zero. Consider a hoop spinning around its symmetry axis, which is tilted from the frame rotation axis The Coriolis forces at opposite hoop points are not co-linear, because they are in the plane of the frame rotation, not in the plane of the hoop. So they will produce a torque around the center of mass.

Likes Hiero
A.T. said:
I don't think it is zero.
I also don’t think it’s zero for the simple reason that neglecting it gives a different answer than the inertial-frame analysis.

I’m still curious though, is there any clever usage of cross product identities that simplify this expression to a form I might be able to evaluate?

Hiero said:
how to simplify the torque:
$$\vec \tau _c = \int \vec r ×d\vec F_c=-2\int (\vec r×( \vec \Omega × ( \vec \omega × \vec r))dm$$

1. Is the torque about the center of mass due to Coriolis force always 0?

No, the torque about the center of mass due to Coriolis force is not always 0. It depends on the direction and speed of the object's motion, as well as the latitude of the object's location.

2. What is the Coriolis force and how does it affect torque?

The Coriolis force is a fictitious force that appears to act on objects in motion due to the Earth's rotation. It is perpendicular to the direction of motion and affects the torque by causing a change in the object's angular momentum.

3. How does the Coriolis force affect objects at different latitudes?

The Coriolis force has a greater effect on objects at higher latitudes. This is because the Earth's rotation is faster at the equator and slower at the poles, causing a greater change in direction for objects in motion at higher latitudes.

4. Can the Coriolis force be ignored when calculating torque?

No, the Coriolis force cannot be ignored when calculating torque. It is an important factor to consider, especially for objects in motion over long distances or at high speeds.

5. How is the Coriolis force related to the Earth's rotation?

The Coriolis force is a result of the Earth's rotation. It is caused by the difference in rotational speed between different latitudes, and is what causes objects in motion to appear to deflect from their intended path.