Inclination angle of a banked turn in a road for a maximum speed

In summary, you should include the sliding friction coefficient μ in order to find the inclination angle for a maximum speed on a real radius curve.
Andrei0408
Homework Statement
In a real case, for a real radius curve and a real sliding
friction coefficient, find the inclination angle of a road for a maximum speed.(Ex. two-lane road, highway, racing circuit, railroad; tire-asphalt, meta-metal friction)
Relevant Equations
tan(theta)=(v^2)/r*g; μ=tg(alpha)
I know the solution is based on velocity and the sliding friction coefficient, and I believe I should put the condition Fcf smaller than Ff, but I just don't understand how to include μ in the solution, to find the angle. Even if you don't solve the problem, I just need to understand the concepts, please!

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome, andrei0408! :cool:

What is that you don't understand specifically?
The vehicle naturally tends to keep going straight while the tires force it to follow a circular trajectory.
Friction force between the tires and the road is needed to achieve that change of direction.
The available friction force is certain percentage of the weight of the vehicle.
For different surfaces of the road, that percentage is called coefficient of friction (μ).

Likes Delta2
Lnewqban said:
Welcome, andrei0408! :cool:

What is that you don't understand specifically?
The vehicle naturally tends to keep going straight while the tires force it to follow a circular trajectory.
Friction force between the tires and the road is needed to achieve that change of direction.
The available friction force is certain percentage of the weight of the vehicle.
For different surfaces of the road, that percentage is called coefficient of friction (μ).
Well I need to find theta from the equation tan(theta)=(v^2)/r*g, but I also know that I need to include μ in order to solve for a real case.

Andrei0408 said:
Homework Statement:: In a real case, for a real radius curve and a real sliding
friction coefficient, find the inclination angle of a road for a maximum speed.
I must be missing something (is there another constraint?). As you go faster and faster the bank angle must rise to make your normal force support the car. Are there any other constraints? If not, then very fast speed is achieved with a maximum bank angle, it would seem.

Kind of like these guys:

Likes Lnewqban
Andrei0408 said:
Homework Statement:: In a real case, for a real radius curve and a real sliding
friction coefficient, find the inclination angle of a road for a maximum speed.(Ex. two-lane road, highway, racing circuit, railroad; tire-asphalt, meta-metal friction)
Relevant Equations:: tan(theta)=(v^2)/r*g; μ=tg(alpha)

I know the solution is based on velocity and the sliding friction coefficient, and I believe I should put the condition Fcf smaller than Ff, but I just don't understand how to include μ in the solution, to find the angle. Even if you don't solve the problem, I just need to understand the concepts, please!
Since it specifies realistic situations, you should assume it is also a requirement to be able to go arbitrarily slowly on the same road without slipping down. That gives a max angle in terms of the coefficient.

Likes Lnewqban and berkeman
haruspex said:
Since it specifies realistic situations, you should assume it is also a requirement to be able to go arbitrarily slowly on the same road without slipping down. That gives a max angle in terms of the coefficient.
Oh, interesting. That would definitely add a constraint. :smile:

1. What is the inclination angle of a banked turn?

The inclination angle of a banked turn refers to the angle at which a road is banked or tilted in order to facilitate a vehicle's turn. It is typically measured in degrees and can vary depending on the speed and radius of the turn.

2. How is the inclination angle of a banked turn determined?

The inclination angle of a banked turn is determined by a combination of factors, including the speed and radius of the turn, the weight and size of the vehicle, and the coefficient of friction between the tires and the road surface. It is calculated using mathematical equations and can also be determined experimentally through testing.

3. Why is a banked turn necessary for achieving maximum speed?

A banked turn allows a vehicle to maintain a higher speed while turning because it helps to counteract the centrifugal force that pulls the vehicle outward. This reduces the amount of friction between the tires and the road, allowing the vehicle to maintain a higher speed without sliding off the road.

4. What is the relationship between the inclination angle and the speed of a banked turn?

The relationship between the inclination angle and the speed of a banked turn is directly proportional. This means that as the speed of the turn increases, the inclination angle must also increase in order to maintain a safe and stable turn. Similarly, a decrease in speed would require a decrease in the inclination angle.

5. How does the inclination angle of a banked turn affect the vehicle's tires?

The inclination angle of a banked turn can affect the vehicle's tires in several ways. If the angle is too steep, it can cause excessive wear on the tires and potentially lead to a loss of control. If the angle is too shallow, it may not provide enough support for the vehicle during the turn, leading to a loss of traction. Finding the optimal inclination angle is crucial for maintaining the longevity and safety of the vehicle's tires.