Incline Plane (Find the angle)

In summary: If you have not, it is okay. I am here to provide a summary of the content.In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a box of textbooks on a loading ramp with a specific angle and coefficients of friction. The question is to find the minimum angle at which the box starts to slip, the acceleration once it begins to move, and the speed of the box after sliding a certain distance. To find the minimum angle, the coefficient of kinetic friction is set equal to the tangent of the angle. To solve this, one would use the arctan function on a calculator, making sure it is in the correct angle mode. The conversation also mentions drawing a free body diagram to help solve the problem.
Chandasouk

Homework Statement

A box of textbooks of mass 26.0 kg rests on a loading ramp that makes an angle \alpha with the horizontal. The coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.240 and the coefficient of static friction is 0.360.

As the angle \alpha is increased, find the minimum angle at which the box starts to slip.

At this angle, find the acceleration once the box has begun to move.
Take the free fall acceleration to be g = 9.80 m/s^2.

At this angle, how fast will the box be moving after it has slid a distance 4.60 m along the loading ramp?
Take the free fall acceleration to be g = 9.80 m/s^2.

For the first part I got

[tex]\mu[/tex]k = tan[tex]\theta[/tex]

0.360 = tan[tex]\theta[/tex]

But how do I evaluate this on my calculator? When I put in arctan(.360) I get a decimal for a degree and same if i input it as tan(.360)

Physics news on Phys.org
You say you get a decimal? Is that bad? Were you expecting a nice whole number?

Or do you mean you need your calculator to be in radians rather than degrees?

I have a VERY similar problem like this one. How did you get tan[tex]\theta[/tex] to equal [tex]\mu[/tex]k ?

You need to:

1. Use the arctan function on your calculator, sometimes also called atan or tan-1
2. Make sure the calculator is in the correct angle mode, radians or degrees.

No I mean how do you know it equals that?

Solving this problem starts with drawing a free body diagram , showing all the forces acting on the mass. Have you done that?

Related to Incline Plane (Find the angle)

1. What is an incline plane?

An incline plane is a simple machine that consists of a flat surface that is tilted at an angle. It is commonly used to make it easier to move heavy objects by reducing the amount of force needed to lift them.

2. How do you find the angle of an incline plane?

The angle of an incline plane can be found by using the formula: angle = inverse tangent (height/length). This means taking the height (vertical distance) and dividing it by the length (horizontal distance) of the incline plane and then taking the inverse tangent of that value. This will give you the angle in degrees.

3. What is the relationship between the angle of an incline plane and the amount of force needed to move an object?

The greater the angle of the incline plane, the less force is needed to move an object up the incline. This is because the force needed to move an object is directly proportional to the angle of the incline plane.

4. How does friction affect the angle of an incline plane?

Friction is a force that opposes motion and it acts in the opposite direction of the applied force. This means that the steeper the incline plane, the greater the force of friction will be. This can make it more difficult to move an object up the incline and may require more force.

5. Can the angle of an incline plane be greater than 90 degrees?

No, the angle of an incline plane cannot be greater than 90 degrees. At 90 degrees, the incline plane becomes a vertical surface and it is no longer considered an incline plane. The angle must be less than 90 degrees in order for it to function as a simple machine.