Inclined plane problem without mass or coefficient of friction given

In summary, the conversation discusses the approach to solving a problem involving a Yukon Hammerhead sled on an icy hill. The first step is to make a free body diagram and find the net force parallel to the incline. Then, using Newton's 2nd law, the acceleration can be determined. It is mentioned that the friction is neglected in this problem. The use of f=ma without the mass is also suggested. The possibility of using energy conservation instead of kinematics is mentioned. Finally, it is noted that the angle may not be necessary for the solution.
ineedhelpthanks
Homework Statement
A Yukon Hammerhead sled is at the top of an icy hill. The hill was conveniently measured by a surveyor who determined it to have an angle of 18° with the horizontal. Height of the hill is 25 m. What is the speed of the sled as it reaches the bottom of the hill?
Relevant Equations
I know I need to use kinematic equations to help find the speed.
I need to find fg to find the fnetx and fnety, but I’m confused how to approach this.
Confused how to approach problem after making a free body diagram and finding the length of the inclined plane

Physics news on Phys.org
So you made a free body diagram? Good! Realize that the net force will be parallel to the incline -- find that force, then use Newton's 2nd law to find the acceleration.

ineedhelpthanks said:
Homework Statement:: A Yukon Hammerhead sled is at the top of an icy hill.
I wonder what it means by "icy"?

• Haha
Likes berkeman and Doc Al
PeroK said:
I wonder what it means by "icy"?
Yeah, I think it’s regarding the friction. I think for the problem the friction is neglected

Likes PeroK
Doc Al said:
So you made a free body diagram? Good! Realize that the net force will be parallel to the incline -- find that force, then use Newton's 2nd law to find the acceleration.
Okay, I’m not sure how f=ma would work without the mass though

ineedhelpthanks said:
Okay, I’m not sure how f=ma would work without the mass though
Just call the mass "m" and see what happens. You might not need it to find the acceleration. (The expression for force will also involve the mass.)

Were you told to use kinematics to solve this? Energy conservation is easier.

hutchphd said:
Energy conservation is easier.
And you don't even need the angle!

Likes ineedhelpthanks
hutchphd said:
Were you told to use kinematics to solve this? Energy conservation is easier.
The right kinematic equation (the one that does not involve ##t##) works just as well.

1. How do I calculate the force required to move an object up an inclined plane without knowing the mass or coefficient of friction?

The force required to move an object up an inclined plane can be calculated using the formula F = mg(sinθ + μcosθ), where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, θ is the angle of the incline, and μ is the coefficient of friction. Since the mass and coefficient of friction are not given, they can be cancelled out from the equation, leaving F = mg(sinθ). This means that the force required is directly proportional to the mass of the object and the angle of the incline.

2. Is the force required to move an object up an inclined plane without mass or coefficient of friction given the same as the force required to move it horizontally?

No, the force required to move an object up an inclined plane is not the same as the force required to move it horizontally. This is because the force needed to overcome gravity when moving up an incline is greater than the force needed to overcome only inertia when moving horizontally.

3. Can I use the same formula for calculating the force required for an inclined plane problem with or without mass and coefficient of friction given?

Yes, the same formula F = mg(sinθ + μcosθ) can be used for both scenarios. If the mass or coefficient of friction is not given, they can be cancelled out from the equation as mentioned in the first question.

4. How does the angle of the incline affect the force required to move an object up an inclined plane without knowing the mass or coefficient of friction?

The angle of the incline has a direct impact on the force required to move an object up an inclined plane. As the angle of the incline increases, the force needed to overcome gravity also increases. This means that the steeper the incline, the more force is required to move the object up.

5. Can I use the same formula for calculating the acceleration of an object on an inclined plane without knowing the mass or coefficient of friction?

Yes, the same formula F = mg(sinθ + μcosθ) can be used to calculate the acceleration of an object on an inclined plane. However, since the mass and coefficient of friction are not given, the acceleration will be directly proportional to the force applied, as mentioned in the first question.