Including several tex files in one: multiple defined labels

In summary, the conversation is about dividing a main .tex file into separate chapters and how to handle references, equations, and labels between the chapters. The suggestion is to either generate separate PDFs for each chapter and combine them later or to use unique label prefixes for each chapter to avoid multiply defined labels. It is also mentioned that making references between files requires unique labels. The final decision is to simply rename the equations to avoid any issues.
member 428835
Hi PF!

I have a divided a main.tex into chapters, chapter_1.tex, chapter_2.tex... Each chapter is included in the main.tex via \include{chapter_1}. Each chapter also references equations. Is there a way to have each of the chapter_1.tex only reference that file's equations, sections, figures? As is, I have multiple defined labels.

Thanks so much!

Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you generate the pdf for each chapter separately, and then combine them into one file? This would be better than including all those chapters into the main .tex file. Adobe online, for instance, allows you to combine files for free.

Why not simply change the labels? Each file/chapter could have its own label prefix to make sure there can be no multiply defined labels (it is easy to perform a search and replace in each file to include those prefixes).

Likes member 428835, Orodruin, pasmith and 2 others
Wrichik Basu said:
Why don't you generate the pdf for each chapter separately, and then combine them into one file? This would be better than including all those chapters into the main .tex file. Adobe online, for instance, allows you to combine files for free.

That breaks things if one chapter makes references to the content of another, or you have page references, or you want to generate a single bibliography for the entire work.

Likes Wrichik Basu, member 428835 and FactChecker
The sad and somewhat dry truth is to not use the same label several times in different files if you want to compile them together. Making references between the files is a feature and this requires unique lables. I suggest going with #3.

Likes member 428835
Thanks everyone. I'll just rename the equations. Wasn't sure if there was a package available that made this simple, but this is still very easy.

1. What is the purpose of including several tex files in one document?

The purpose of including several tex files in one document is to break up a large document into smaller, more manageable parts. This can make it easier to work on different sections of the document, collaborate with others, and make changes without affecting the entire document.

2. How do I include multiple tex files in one document?

To include multiple tex files in one document, you can use the \input{filename} command in your main tex file. This will insert the contents of the specified file into your document. You can use this command multiple times to include as many tex files as needed.

3. What happens if there are duplicate labels in the included tex files?

If there are duplicate labels in the included tex files, you will get an error message stating that the label has already been defined. This can cause issues with cross-referencing and may result in incorrect references in your document. It is important to ensure that all labels are unique in your document.

4. Can I include tex files from different directories?

Yes, you can include tex files from different directories by specifying the relative or absolute path of the file when using the \input{filename} command. It is important to ensure that the file path is correct and that the tex file is located in the specified directory.

5. How can I troubleshoot errors when including multiple tex files?

If you encounter errors when including multiple tex files, you can troubleshoot by checking the file paths, ensuring all labels are unique, and making sure all required packages are included in the main tex file. Additionally, commenting out sections of the included tex files can help identify the source of the error.