Increase Catalyst Surface Area & Reaction Rate: Experiment

In summary, the conversation discusses an experiment involving increasing the mass of MnO2 added to H2O2 decomposition, with measurements taken of the rate of temperature change. The speaker notes an overall increasing trend and questions the relationship between surface area and rate of reaction. They suggest that in a uniform dispersed solution, the rate should be proportional to the mass added, but note that this may not be the case in the experiment. The other person in the conversation confirms an increasing trend and suggests that surface catalysts are proportional to surface area. They also mention that this is a common factor in large scale industrial reactions.
tvbuddy01
Hi there,

I am doing an experiment in increasing the mass of MnO2 when it is added to H2O2 decomposition, and I'm measuring the rate of temperature change. I chose increments of 0.050, 0.100, 0.150, 0.200, and 0.250 g to put into H2O2 when it is decomposed, i.e. the MnO2 is a catalyst. I noticed a generally increasing trend.

I was wondering... I know that increasing the mass of the catalyst is just increasing the total surface area it has, but how exactly is surface area related to the rate of reaction?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ideally rate should be simply proportional to surface area which then should be proportional to the mass added if it is a uniform dispersed solution of particles. I.e. Particles not clumping together or sticking to the glass. Those assumptions may not be the case in your experiment. Also are you really measuring a rate? Does it seem to be constant with time in your experiment?

I do have an increasing trend. i.e. the more MnO2 I added in, the higher the rate.

Why exactly is the rate proportional to surface area of the catalyst?

Things like it are actually called 'surface catalysts' (and include I'd say, the majority of large scale industrial reactions).
In a very generic way guess how they work. Isn't proportionality to area what you'd expect?

What is the purpose of increasing catalyst surface area?

The purpose of increasing catalyst surface area is to increase the number of active sites available for the reactants to bind to, thereby increasing the rate of the chemical reaction.

How can the surface area of a catalyst be increased?

The surface area of a catalyst can be increased by using a porous material, such as a mesh or sponge, or by creating a finely divided powder or suspension of the catalyst.

What factors can affect the effectiveness of increasing catalyst surface area?

The effectiveness of increasing catalyst surface area can be affected by the type and composition of the catalyst, the temperature, pressure, and concentration of the reactants, and the presence of any inhibitors or catalyst poisons.

What is the relationship between catalyst surface area and reaction rate?

The relationship between catalyst surface area and reaction rate is directly proportional. As the surface area of the catalyst increases, the number of active sites available for the reactants to bind to also increases, leading to a faster rate of reaction.

Are there any potential drawbacks to increasing catalyst surface area?

One potential drawback of increasing catalyst surface area is that it may also increase the chance of unwanted side reactions or the formation of byproducts. Additionally, increasing the surface area may also lead to a higher cost of production for the catalyst.