Reaction rate, rate equation and half life

In summary: I'll keep that in mind for future calculations.In summary, the conversation discussed the decomposition of hydrogen peroxide, H2O2, into water and oxygen gas according to the formula H2O2(l) → H2O(l) + O2(g). The concentration versus time data for this reaction was provided in Table 1. The first question asked to calculate the reaction rate constant, k, using Excel software and confirm that it is a first-order reaction. The second question involved writing the rate equation for the given reaction, which can be found in textbooks or online resources. The third question was to calculate the half-life of hydrogen peroxide, which can be determined by finding the time it takes for the concentration
Sabra_a
thread moved from a technical subforum
Summary: Hydrogen peroxide, H2O2, decomposes as per following reaction scheme:
H2O2(l) → H2O(l) + O2(g)
The concentration versus time data for the decomposition of hydrogen peroxide is given in Table 1.

i) Calculate the reaction rate constant, k, graphically, with the aid of Excel software. Confirm that this is a first-order reaction.
ii) Write the rate equation for the given reaction.
iii) Calculate the half-life for hydrogen peroxide.

I have attached the table and my attempt to solve the question, a feedback will be appreciated. I'm quite stuck on the 2nd and 3rd point

Screen Shot 2019-11-25 at 2.05.14 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-11-25 at 2.07.52 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-11-25 at 2.01.08 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-11-25 at 2.01.08 PM.png
    3.2 KB · Views: 224
Physics news on Phys.org
This ought to be on the homework help, it is so elementary.
The only hard part is question i) which you or someone seems to have solved already.
The answer to ii) is already in the answer given, you only know need to know what "rate equation" means. See your textbook or Wikipedia.
iii) is almost contained in your answer. [A0] Is the starting concentration of H2O2, so when only half of that is left, what will your fourth equation give you?

Likes Sabra_a
thank you, for point ii) I wasn't sure about the answer because I thought I answered it in the first part. I rearranged my answers.
Screen Shot 2019-11-25 at 6.05.23 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-11-25 at 6.06.12 PM.png

Looks OK to me.
I guess 1st order rate constants are officially most often quoted in s-1 though 'at home' in the lab you can find minutes/hours/days convenient..

Thank you

1. What is reaction rate?

Reaction rate refers to how quickly a chemical reaction takes place. It is a measure of how fast the reactants are being consumed and how fast the products are being formed.

2. What is the rate equation?

The rate equation is a mathematical expression that relates the rate of a chemical reaction to the concentration of reactants. It is often written in the form of rate = k[A]^m[B]^n, where k is the rate constant, [A] and [B] are the concentrations of the reactants, and m and n are the reaction orders.

3. How is reaction rate affected by temperature?

An increase in temperature generally leads to an increase in reaction rate. This is because higher temperatures provide more energy to the reacting molecules, allowing them to overcome the activation energy barrier more easily.

4. What is half-life?

Half-life is the amount of time it takes for the concentration of a reactant to decrease by half. It is a characteristic property of a reaction and can be used to determine the rate constant and reaction order.

5. How can the reaction rate be increased?

The reaction rate can be increased by increasing the concentration of reactants, increasing the temperature, or adding a catalyst. These methods all provide more energy to the reacting molecules, making it easier for them to overcome the activation energy barrier and increase the rate of the reaction.