Increase the number of options in poll?

• Suggestion
  • Thread starter DennisN
  • Start date
  • Tags
    poll
In summary, the forum system only allows a maximum of 20 choices for polls, but the person was hoping to have 39 choices for a movie poll. Instead of increasing the number of choices, it was suggested to split the poll into two based on genre. However, there were concerns about the overhead for voters. The intention of the poll is to get a list of the most liked movies on PF, not to rate them. In order to combine favorites from different categories, there are two separate polls that need more votes.
DennisN
Gold Member
2023 Award
Hi!
I was about to start a poll with 39 choices, but it seems the forum system allows max 20.

Is it possible to increase the number of poll options, perhaps? To 40 or 50, perhaps?

The reason I ask is because I and other PF'ers would like to vote on 39 nominated movies.
For more info, please see this post.

Cheers!

Physics news on Phys.org
That's a LOT of movies! Instead of increasing the number of choices, maybe it would be better to create a couple of polls based on genre? Can you really rate best science fiction against best romantic comedy or best western, etc...?

Likes phinds, Tom.G and berkeman
Evo said:
That's a LOT of movies!
Yeah, we've had the nominations and discussion going for a couple of weeks :biggrin:.

Evo said:
Instead of increasing the number of choices, maybe it would be better to create a couple of polls based on genre?
It's a good idea. I thought briefly of splitting the poll into two polls, but I was uncertain what the others thought of it and the associated overhead for me and other voters (the overhead may not be very much, though).

Evo said:
Can you really rate best science fiction against best romantic comedy or best western, etc...?
No, I agree with you, I don't think such a rating would work so well.
The poll is not intended to rate movies, the intention is to get a list of the most liked movies on PF.

DennisN said:
Yeah, we've had the nominations and discussion going for a couple of weeks :biggrin:.It's a good idea. I thought briefly of splitting the poll into two polls, but I was uncertain what the others thought of it and the associated overhead for me and the others (which may not be very much, though).No, I agree with you, I don't think such a rating would work so well.
The poll is not intended to rate movies, the intention is to get a list of the most liked movies on PF.
Well, once you get favorites from a couple of categories, you can then combine those FAVORITES into one. Whittle them down.

Likes phinds, BillTre and DennisN

1. How does increasing the number of options in a poll affect the accuracy of the results?

Increasing the number of options in a poll can actually decrease the accuracy of the results. This is because having too many options can overwhelm participants and lead to random or uninformed choices instead of thoughtful responses.

2. What is the ideal number of options to include in a poll?

The ideal number of options in a poll can vary depending on the topic and target audience. Generally, it is recommended to have around 3-5 options to ensure that participants can make a well-informed decision without feeling overwhelmed.

3. How can increasing the number of options in a poll improve the quality of data collected?

Increasing the number of options in a poll can provide more detailed and nuanced data. This can help researchers gain a better understanding of the opinions and preferences of participants, leading to more accurate and insightful conclusions.

4. Are there any disadvantages to increasing the number of options in a poll?

Yes, there are some potential disadvantages to increasing the number of options in a poll. As mentioned earlier, too many options can overwhelm participants and lead to less accurate responses. Additionally, it can also increase the time and effort required for data analysis.

5. How can researchers ensure that increasing the number of options in a poll does not bias the results?

To ensure that increasing the number of options in a poll does not bias the results, researchers should carefully consider and balance the options included. It is important to include a diverse range of options that accurately represent the different viewpoints or choices related to the topic being polled.