Increase Velocity of Fluid: Less Pressure?

In summary, the decrease in pressure when the velocity of a fluid is increased can be explained by the continuity equation and Bernoulli equation. The continuity equation states that the mass of a moving fluid remains constant, resulting in equal volume flow rates at all times. Meanwhile, the Bernoulli equation shows that as the velocity increases, the pressure must decrease in order to maintain equilibrium. This is due to the conservation of energy, where the left side of the equation remains constant and the pressure must vary proportionally with the velocity. This can be compared to a "velocity filter" in which high speed molecules are prioritized and directed in the right direction.
bluejay27
Why is there less pressure if the velocity of the fluid is increased?

Physics news on Phys.org
I obtained the answer! It deals with the continuity equation, where the mass of a moving fluid does not change as it flows. Thus, the volume flow rate has to be equal at all times.

Nevermind that still does not answer my question. Why is there less pressure when the velocity of fluid is increased?

bluejay27 said:
Nevermind that still does not answer my question. Why is there less pressure when the velocity of fluid is increased?
You can look at the Bernoulli equation! Since, the left side of its equation is constant, the right side must equal to each other. If there is a smaller cross-section, there will be a higher speed and in order to make the equation equivalent to the left side of the equation, the P at the right side of the equation must decrease.

bluejay27 said:
I obtained the answer! It deals with the continuity equation, where the mass of a moving fluid does not change as it flows. Thus, the volume flow rate has to be equal at all times.
That's one of two parts: that's conservation of mass (flow). The other is conservation of energy.

ive often wondered what causes the molecules to accelerate. some say that the neck down is a kind of "velocity filter" and allows the high speed vibrations of the molecules to prioritize the ones pointed in the right direction, through.

Been a while since I took physics, but I believe that because the left side of the Bernoulli equation stays constant the pressure must vary proportionally with the velocity. So as the water speeds up, it must exert a lower pressure on its surroundings.

Related to Increase Velocity of Fluid: Less Pressure?

1. How does increasing velocity of fluid decrease pressure?

Increasing the velocity of fluid means that the fluid is moving faster. As a result, the fluid particles will collide with the walls of the container more frequently and with greater force. This creates a higher pressure, which is why increasing velocity results in a decrease in pressure.

2. Why is it important to increase the velocity of fluid?

Increasing the velocity of fluid can be important for a variety of reasons. It can help to move the fluid through a system more quickly, which can increase efficiency. It can also help to prevent clogs or blockages in the system. Additionally, for some applications, a higher fluid velocity may be necessary for proper functioning.

3. What factors affect the velocity of fluid?

There are several factors that can affect the velocity of fluid, including the viscosity (thickness) of the fluid, the diameter of the pipe or container, and the pressure of the fluid. The velocity may also be affected by any obstructions or changes in direction within the system.

4. How can the velocity of fluid be increased?

The velocity of fluid can be increased by increasing the pressure behind the fluid, decreasing the viscosity of the fluid, or decreasing the diameter of the pipe or container. Additionally, reducing any obstructions or changes in direction within the system can also help to increase the velocity of fluid.

5. Are there any risks associated with increasing the velocity of fluid?

Increasing the velocity of fluid can lead to higher pressure, which can potentially cause damage to the system or create safety hazards. It is important to carefully consider the potential risks and implement proper safety measures when increasing the velocity of fluid.