Increasing Laser Tag Gun Range with Convex Lenses?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of increasing the range of laser tag guns by adding convex lenses and a sniper scope. However, it is concluded that the overall losses from distance and air would still decrease the intensity of the beam, making it undetectable. The best solution would be to increase the intensity of the beam.
Biohazard4
So this is the case - I've bought some shocking laser tag guns to play with my friends, though I am unsatisfied with their range which is merely 5 meters. I was wondering if I could add some convex lenses in front of the laser gun in order to increase the range of the laser, would that work? Also let's say I added a sniper scope to one of them, and added a lot of lenses, obviously the ray's area of effect would decrease significantly, but will the receptor still receive the ray?

Science news on Phys.org
I'm guessing that while you might focus the beam more tightly, the overall losses from the distance and air would still reduce the intensity of the beam to levels undetectable. The best way would be to increase the intensity of the beam. At least I think.

Related to Increasing Laser Tag Gun Range with Convex Lenses?

1. How do convex lenses increase laser tag gun range?

Convex lenses are able to increase the range of a laser tag gun by focusing the light beams into a smaller and more concentrated area. This allows for the light to travel a further distance without losing intensity.

2. Can any type of convex lens be used to increase laser tag gun range?

No, not all convex lenses are created equal. In order to increase the laser tag gun range, the convex lens must have a specific curvature and focal point. A lens with a longer focal length will have a greater effect on increasing range compared to a lens with a shorter focal length.

3. Are there any downsides to using convex lenses to increase laser tag gun range?

Using convex lenses to increase laser tag gun range may result in a narrower beam, making it more difficult to hit targets. Additionally, if the lenses are not properly aligned or if they become dirty or damaged, it can actually decrease the range of the gun.

4. How can I accurately measure the increase in range when using convex lenses?

The best way to accurately measure the increase in range when using convex lenses is to conduct controlled experiments. This involves setting up a target at a specific distance and measuring the number of successful hits with and without the convex lenses. The difference in hits between the two trials will give an accurate measurement of the increase in range.

5. Are there any other methods for increasing laser tag gun range?

Yes, there are other methods for increasing laser tag gun range, such as using a more powerful laser or using reflectors to bounce the light beams. However, these methods may be more expensive or require more technical expertise compared to using convex lenses.