Problem in making a small refracting Telescope

In summary, the person was trying to make a Galilean telescope for their young friends. They bought the necessary lenses but were having trouble making it work. They were advised to place the double concave lens before the focus of the double convex lens and accurately measure the focal length. The person plans to try a tube with a length of 92.5 cm and will post their results. They were also reminded that with this design, the eye needs to be as close to the negative lens as possible.
Ibrahim Hany
It sounds silly to ask such question or stumble in such problem, indeed!

But I was willing to make some small telescopes for young friends of mine, to encourage them to delve in the skies.

So, I bought:
1. Double concave, spherical glass lens, with a focal length of approx. -75mm and diameter of 38mm.
2. Double convex, spherical glass lens, with a focal length of approx. 1000mm.

I believed that by a tube of about a meter length, I should have an excellent refracting telescope!
But unfortunately after collecting the lenses and the tube, the telescope did not work! Sth is hugely wrong in my estimations!

Would anyone hint me where might the mistake be? Your illustrations are much appreciated.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
This should give you what is called a Galilean telescope, since it is the type Galileo first used to explore the skies. What do you mean that "the telescope did not work"? You were probably just not in focus. You need to place the double concave lens before the focus of the double convex lens. Did you locate the focal point of the double convex lens? This is best done with a bright object like the moon or a street light. Then you can see the image point and accurately measure the focal length of the double convex lens. Then the double concave lens needs to be placed about 75 mm in front of the focal point. You will need to be able to move it back and forth to find the point of best focus. The top picture in attached image shows how the lenses should be placed.

refracting_telescopes.jpg

phyzguy said:
This should give you what is called a Galilean telescope, since it is the type Galileo first used to explore the skies. What do you mean that "the telescope did not work"? You were probably just not in focus. You need to place the double concave lens before the focus of the double convex lens. Did you locate the focal point of the double convex lens? This is best done with a bright object like the moon or a street light. Then you can see the image point and accurately measure the focal length of the double convex lens. Then the double concave lens needs to be placed about 75 mm in front of the focal point. You will need to be able to move it back and forth to find the point of best focus. The top picture in attached image shows how the lenses should be placed.

View attachment 82896

Yeah, I am planning to make a Galileo Type telescope.
And I will try a tube with 92.5 cm according to your suggestions, and planning to do the detailed optics calculations for it soon. I tried 107.5 cm before, and it did not work.

Thanks for your help. Will post here as soon as I assemble the pieces.

Ibrahim Hany said:
Yeah, I am planning to make a Galileo Type telescope.
And I will try a tube with 92.5 cm according to your suggestions, and planning to do the detailed optics calculations for it soon. I tried 107.5 cm before, and it did not work.

Thanks for your help. Will post here as soon as I assemble the pieces.

Something to remember with the Galilean design, your eye needs to be as close to the negative lens as possible- the exit pupil is located slightly prior to the negative lens.

1. Why is it difficult to make a small refracting telescope?

The main challenge in making a small refracting telescope is achieving a high level of precision in the optical components. The lenses must be ground and polished to extremely small tolerances in order to produce clear and sharp images. Any imperfections or inaccuracies in the lenses can significantly impact the performance of the telescope.

2. What materials are commonly used in the construction of a small refracting telescope?

The main materials used in the construction of a small refracting telescope are glass for the lenses and metal or plastic for the telescope body. The type of glass used for the lenses is crucial, as it must have a high refractive index and low dispersion to produce clear and accurate images. Many modern telescopes also incorporate lightweight materials such as carbon fiber for the body to reduce weight and increase portability.

3. How do you determine the focal length of a small refracting telescope?

The focal length of a small refracting telescope is determined by the curvature and distance between the lenses. This can be calculated using the lensmaker's equation, which takes into account the refractive index of the glass and the radius of curvature of the lenses. The focal length is a crucial factor in determining the magnification and overall performance of the telescope.

4. What are some common issues that can arise in the construction of a small refracting telescope?

One common issue that can arise in the construction of a small refracting telescope is spherical aberration, which occurs when the spherical shape of the lenses causes light rays to converge at different points. This can result in distorted images and reduced sharpness. Another potential issue is chromatic aberration, where different wavelengths of light are focused at different points, leading to color fringing in the images. These issues can be minimized through careful selection and shaping of the lenses.

5. How can I improve the performance of my small refracting telescope?

To improve the performance of a small refracting telescope, it is essential to ensure that all optical components are properly aligned and securely mounted. Any misalignments can significantly impact the quality of the images produced. Additionally, regularly cleaning and maintaining the lenses and other parts of the telescope can also help to improve its performance and longevity. Upgrading to higher quality lenses or using specialized coatings can also enhance the telescope's capabilities.