Increasing the number of pulleys

In summary, the force needed to move a load will decrease as mechanical advantage increases in a pulley system. However, adding more pulleys may decrease efficiency due to increased friction. The effect of increasing the load on efficiency will depend on the specific arrangement of pulleys and the ratio of work done by the applied force to work done on the load. The ideal mechanical advantage will not change with increasing load, as it neglects friction.
Blonde1551

Homework Statement

I'm trying to do a lab and none of my data is making sense. It's making it very difficult for me to draw conclusions and make sense of the post-lab questions with the data I have.

Here are the questions I am struggling with:
1. What happens to the force exerted as mechanical advantage gets larger?
2. How does increasing the number of pulleys affect the ideal mechanical advantage and efficiency of a pulley system?
3. How does increasing the load affect the ideal mechanical advantage and efficiency of a pulley system?

Homework Equations

IMA = de/dr

MA = Fr/Fe

Efficiency = (MA/IMA) x 100

The Attempt at a Solution

This is what I am assuming but I don't really know.

1. I think the force gets smaller because the fr stays the same so to get a bigger MA you divide by a smaller number, plus the pulley makes it easier so you use less force. Would this be correct?

2.I assumed that increasing the number of pulleys will increase the IMA. But due to friction it will decrease the efficiency. The more pulleys that are turning, the more friction there is, and the less efficient the system will be. Would this be correct?

3. Increasing the load will add to the friction, thus reducing the efficiency of the system. The ideal mechanical advantage won't change since the IMA neglects friction. Does this make sense?Thanks for your help everyone!

Physics news on Phys.org
BethRobinson said:
1. What happens to the force exerted as mechanical advantage gets larger?
1. I think the force gets smaller because the fr stays the same so to get a bigger MA you divide by a smaller number, plus the pulley makes it easier so you use less force. Would this be correct?
I don't like that the question refers to the force exerted. The force exerted is whatever it happens to be; that may be insufficient to move the load or far more than sufficient. Assuming it means the force needed, I agree with your answer.
2. How does increasing the number of pulleys affect the ideal mechanical advantage and efficiency of a pulley system?

2.I assumed that increasing the number of pulleys will increase the IMA. But due to friction it will decrease the efficiency. The more pulleys that are turning, the more friction there is, and the less efficient the system will be. Would this be correct?
The question doesn't mean anything without the context of an actual arrangement of pulleys. A pulley could be added in a way that reduces MA. Other than that, I agree with your answer.
3. How does increasing the load affect the ideal mechanical advantage and efficiency of a pulley system?
3. Increasing the load will add to the friction, thus reducing the efficiency of the system. The ideal mechanical advantage won't change since the IMA neglects friction.
Increasing the load will add to the friction, yes, but efficiency is about ratios. What will the affect be on the ratio of work done by the applied force to work done on the load?

Likes Rolacycle

What is the purpose of increasing the number of pulleys?

The purpose of increasing the number of pulleys is to decrease the amount of force needed to lift or move an object. By increasing the number of pulleys, the weight of the object is distributed among multiple ropes or cables, making it easier to lift.

How does increasing the number of pulleys affect the mechanical advantage?

Increasing the number of pulleys increases the mechanical advantage. The mechanical advantage is the ratio of the output force to the input force. By increasing the number of pulleys, the input force needed to lift an object decreases, resulting in a higher mechanical advantage.

What are the limitations of increasing the number of pulleys?

One limitation of increasing the number of pulleys is that it can decrease the speed at which the object is lifted. This is because more pulleys result in a longer rope or cable, which takes longer to pull. Additionally, the more pulleys there are, the more friction is present, which can also slow down the lifting process.

Are there any safety concerns when increasing the number of pulleys?

Yes, there are some safety concerns when increasing the number of pulleys. The added mechanical advantage can make it easy to lift heavy objects, but it also means that more weight is being supported by the ropes or cables. If the ropes or cables are not strong enough, they can break, causing the object to fall and potentially injure someone.

How do I determine the ideal number of pulleys to use?

The ideal number of pulleys to use depends on the weight of the object you are trying to lift and the amount of force you are able to exert. To determine the ideal number, you can calculate the mechanical advantage needed to lift the object and then choose the number of pulleys that will provide that mechanical advantage. It is also important to consider safety and practicality when deciding on the number of pulleys to use.