Independent Assortment & Crossing Over: Genetic Recombination

In summary, crossing over increases the possibility for genetic recombination and variation. Without crossing over, there are still numerous ways for homologous chromosomes to line up during meiosis. However, the genetic makeup of these chromosomes may differ slightly due to the presence of different alleles from each parent.
tica86
1. When crossing over does not occur, how many possible chromosome combination can result from independent assortment of the homologous chromosomes?
I believe it is 4, because we have 4 identical chromosomes. Is this correct?

2. How does this change when crossing over occurs? It increases or decreases the genetic recombination? I believe it increases the genetic recombination but I'm not sure.

I would appreciate any help, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
tica86 said:
2. How does this change when crossing over occurs? It increases or decreases the genetic recombination? I believe it increases the genetic recombination but I'm not sure.

You're correct on that. Crossing over yields an enormous possibility for genetic recombination and therefore variation.With regard for question #1, I'm a bit confused as to what exactly it is asking. Even without crossing over, there is still a great number of ways homologous chromosomes can line up. In the human gamete during meiosis, there are 23 tetrads lining the metaphase plate during Metaphase 1. These can line up in any order, and the one on each pole of the plate being different from the other order creates a huge possibility even without crossing over. I'm not sure what the question is looking for, though watch your vocabulary when discussing "identical" chromosomes. Since one of the two alleles for a specific trait is from each parent, they are not always identical. They have the same size and code for similar proteins, though their genetic nucleic acid makeup differs slightly (i.e. blue eyes vs brown eyes, etc.).

I hope that helps!

1. What is independent assortment?

Independent assortment refers to the process by which genes on different chromosomes are sorted into sex cells (gametes) randomly and independently of one another. This occurs during meiosis, the cell division process that produces gametes.

2. How does independent assortment contribute to genetic variation?

Independent assortment allows for different combinations of genes to be passed down to offspring. This contributes to genetic variation by increasing the likelihood of new and unique genetic combinations in each generation.

3. What is crossing over and how does it occur?

Crossing over is the exchange of genetic material between homologous chromosomes during meiosis. This occurs when the chromosomes line up and swap sections of DNA, resulting in new combinations of genes.

4. What is the significance of crossing over?

Crossing over is important because it increases genetic diversity by creating new combinations of genes that were not present in either parent. This allows for the production of genetically unique offspring with a wider range of traits.

5. Can crossing over and independent assortment occur together?

Yes, crossing over and independent assortment can occur simultaneously during meiosis. This results in even more genetic variation and contributes to the complexity and diversity of living organisms.