(Index Notation) Summing a product of 3 numbers

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of representing ∑aibici with index notation using standard tensors, such as the Levi Cevita and Kronecker Delta. It is concluded that an ad hoc matrix A_{ijk} can be introduced to represent this summation, but it may not be a tensor due to its transformation properties. The purpose of the Einstein summation convention is also explained, which is primarily used for manipulations of vectors and tensors in physics.
throneoo
I have just begun reading about Einstein's summation convention and it got me thinking..
Is it possible to represent ∑aibici with index notation? Since we are only restricted to use an index twice at most I don't think it's possible to construct it using the standard tensors (Levi Cevita and Kronecker Delta). Levi Cevita doesn't work because it's only non-zero when the indices are all different and Kronecker Delta only connects two tensors, leaving the third one behind. It becomes clearer if I think of them in terms of vectors and matrices.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, you can introduce a matrix [itex]A_{ijk}[/itex] such that [itex]A_{iii} = 1[/itex] and [itex]A_{ijk} = 0[/itex] if any of the indices differ. Then [itex]\sum_i a_i b_i c_i = A_{ijk} a^i b^j c^k[/itex]. The matrix [itex]A_{ijk}[/itex] might not be a very interesting matrix, mathematically.

stevendaryl said:
Well, you can introduce a matrix [itex]A_{ijk}[/itex] such that [itex]A_{iii} = 1[/itex] and [itex]A_{ijk} = 0[/itex] if any of the indices differ. Then [itex]\sum_i a_i b_i c_i = A_{ijk} a^i b^j c^k[/itex]. The matrix [itex]A_{ijk}[/itex] might not be a very interesting matrix, mathematically.
That's exactly what I thought. I suppose this ad hoc matrix is not common because this type of summation rarely appears in Physics

throneoo said:
That's exactly what I thought. I suppose this ad hoc matrix is not common because this type of summation rarely appears in Physics

Well, the most common use of the Einstein summation convention is for manipulations of vectors and tensors. For those uses, one-dimensional matrices such as [itex]a^i[/itex], written with a raised index, corresponds to a vector, and [itex]b_j[/itex], with a lowered index, corresponds to a covector (there is a geometric distinction between vectors and covectors, even though people often ignore the distinction when using Cartesian coordinates for the components). Something with more than one index is a tensor. For example, [itex]g_{ij}[/itex] is the metric tensor, which is used to compute the length of a vector:

[itex]|\vec{V}| = \sqrt{g_{ij} V^i V^j}[/itex]

But not every matrix of numbers corresponds to a tensor. The reason why is because tensors transform when you change coordinate systems (for example, changing from Cartesian to polar coordinates). If you define [itex]A_{ijk}[/itex] so that in any coordinate system, [itex]A_{iii} =1[/itex] and [itex]A_{ijk} = 0[/itex] when any two indices are different, then [itex]A[/itex] will not be a tensor.

Likes throneoo
stevendaryl said:
I would not call ##A_{ijk}## a matrix. Something represented by a matrix generally has two indices (or one in the case of row or column matrices). This would be some sort of multidimensional matrix.

Seen as a tensor, this object would not be an isotropic tensor, i.e., it would have different components in another frame, unlike the Kronecker delta or the permutation symbol (seen as a Cartesian pseudo-tensor). In the same fashion ##\sum_i a^i b^i c^i## is not an invariant under coordinate transformations.

Likes throneoo

1. What is index notation and how is it used in summing a product of 3 numbers?

Index notation is a mathematical notation that uses subscripts or superscripts to represent repeated multiplication. In summing a product of 3 numbers, index notation is used to simplify the expression and make it easier to calculate.

2. How do you determine the order of operations when using index notation to sum a product of 3 numbers?

In index notation, the order of operations is determined by the placement of the subscripts or superscripts. The operations are performed from left to right, and any operations within parentheses are completed first.

3. Can index notation be used to sum products with more than 3 numbers?

Yes, index notation can be used to sum products with any number of numbers. The number of subscripts or superscripts used will depend on the number of numbers being multiplied together.

4. What is the advantage of using index notation in summing a product of 3 numbers?

The advantage of using index notation is that it simplifies the expression and makes it easier to calculate, especially when dealing with larger numbers or multiple variables.

5. Are there any special rules or properties to keep in mind when using index notation to sum a product of 3 numbers?

Yes, there are several rules and properties that apply to index notation. These include the commutative property, associative property, and distributive property. It is important to follow these rules in order to accurately sum the product of 3 numbers using index notation.