Indicate whether sech(x) is invertible for [0, infinity) and explain why

In summary, the conversation discusses whether sech(x) is invertible for the interval [0, infinity) and how to prove it. The attempt at a solution involves taking the derivative of the equation and showing that it is not 1 to 1. The relevance of x= -1 in this question is also mentioned.
yoohoo

Homework Statement

Indicate whether sech(x) is invertible for [0, infinity) and explain why.

The Attempt at a Solution

Sooo... I know that:

sech(x) = 2 / ( ex + e-x )​

I know that to get the inverse equation I'd need to swap the y and the x... but I'm trying to show whether it's invertible so I don't know how much that would do me. I think I need to prove that the equation is monotonic, ie the derivative should be > 0 ). Hence, I took the derivative of the equation to be:

y' = - 2 (ex - e-x) / (ex + e-x)2

Is that right? If so, is that enough to answer the question?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You could show that sech(x) is not 1 to 1.

What are sech(1) and sech(-1) ?

But the problem said invertible on [0, infinity) so x= -1 is not relevant.

DUH !

Sorry, I missed the [0, infinity) !

It's right there in the title and in the text!

Related to Indicate whether sech(x) is invertible for [0, infinity) and explain why

What is sech(x)?

Sech(x) is the hyperbolic secant function, which is defined as the reciprocal of the hyperbolic cosine function, cosh(x).

Is sech(x) invertible on the interval [0, infinity)?

Yes, sech(x) is invertible on the interval [0, infinity). This means that for every output of the function on this interval, there exists a unique input that produces that output.

How can I determine if a function is invertible?

A function is invertible if every output has a unique input, or in other words, if it passes the horizontal line test. This means that no horizontal line can intersect the graph of the function more than once.

Why is sech(x) invertible on [0, infinity)?

Sech(x) is invertible on [0, infinity) because it passes the horizontal line test. As x approaches infinity, sech(x) approaches 0, and as x approaches 0, sech(x) approaches 1. This means that the graph of sech(x) never crosses the same horizontal line twice on this interval.

Can sech(x) be inverted on other intervals?

No, sech(x) cannot be inverted on any other interval. This is because on any other interval, the graph of sech(x) will intersect the same horizontal line more than once, violating the horizontal line test.