Indirect exchange interactions Fourier transforms

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between operators in k-space and real space. It explains how the operator for creating particles in k-space can be expressed as a sum over q, and how the operator for creating particles in real space can be expressed as a sum over both q and k. The last step involves changing the exponent from (q-k) to q, and then changing q to (q+k) for the subscript.
LagrangeEuler
##\hat{c}_{i\sigma}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{N}}\sum_{\bf{q}}e^{i\bf{q}\cdot \bf{R}_i}\hat{c}_{\bf{k}\sigma}##

##\hat{c}^+_{i\sigma}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{N}}\sum_{\bf{q}}e^{-i\bf{q}\cdot \bf{R}_i}\hat{c}^+_{\bf{k}\sigma}##

Then

##-J\sum_{i}\hat{S}_i^z\hat{c}^+_{i\sigma}\hat{c}_{i \sigma}##

in ##\bf{k}## space is equal

##-J\sum_{i}\hat{S}_i^z\frac{1}{\sqrt{N}}\sum_{\bf{q}}e^{-i\bf{q}\cdot \bf{R}_i}\hat{c}^+_{\bf{q}\sigma}\frac{1}{\sqrt{N}}\sum_{\bf{k}}e^{i\bf{k}\cdot \bf{R}_i}\hat{c}_{\bf{k}\sigma}=##
##=-\frac{J}{N}\sum_{i}\sum_{\bf{q},\bf{k}}e^{-i\bf{q}\cdot \bf{R}_i}e^{i\bf{k}\cdot \bf{R}_i}\hat{S}_i^z\hat{c}^+_{\bf{q}\sigma}\hat{c}_{\bf{k} \sigma}##

and from that we get
##=-\frac{J}{N}\sum_{i}\sum_{\bf{q},\bf{k}}e^{-i\bf{q}\cdot \bf{R}_i}\hat{S}_i^z\hat{c}^+_{\bf{q}+\bf{k} \sigma}\hat{c}_{\bf{k} \sigma}##

Can you explain me this last step?

Physics news on Phys.org
You didn't show the range for q. If it is infinite, then (q-k) got changed to q in the exponent, and q then got changed to (q+k) for the subscript.

Tnx a lot.

1. What are indirect exchange interactions?

Indirect exchange interactions refer to the interactions between magnetic moments in a material that are mediated by the spin of electrons. These interactions can occur between distant magnetic moments and play a crucial role in determining the magnetic properties of a material.

2. How are indirect exchange interactions studied?

Indirect exchange interactions can be studied using various techniques, including electron spin resonance, neutron scattering, and magnetometry. One commonly used technique is Fourier transform spectroscopy, which allows for the measurement of the frequency and strength of the interactions.

3. What is a Fourier transform?

A Fourier transform is a mathematical operation that decomposes a function into its frequency components. In the context of indirect exchange interactions, it is used to analyze the oscillations of the magnetic moments and determine the strength and nature of the interactions between them.

4. What role do Fourier transforms play in understanding indirect exchange interactions?

Fourier transforms are essential in understanding indirect exchange interactions as they allow for the separation of the different frequency components of the interactions. This information can then be used to determine the type of interactions present, such as ferromagnetic or antiferromagnetic, and their strength.

5. What are the applications of studying indirect exchange interactions?

The study of indirect exchange interactions has many practical applications in fields such as materials science, nanotechnology, and spintronics. Understanding these interactions can help in the development of new magnetic materials and devices with specific properties, such as high magnetic anisotropy or low energy consumption.